We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scam by taxis!!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
scam by taxis!!!

Hi just back from gran canaria, had a great time, but noticed THE TAXI drivers are pretending not to have change when it's time to pay!! Was also there in june and thought it was a ONE OFF.But they are all doing it now! We always used to tip---- but no more! YOU DON'T BIT THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!! If anyone from the taxi federation would like to challange this------I would love to hear from you.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scam by taxis!!!

I never had that problem. I never tipped either, I was told it is the norm there, to just round up the fare I think.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 15:56
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scam by taxis!!!

Yes that i norm---- but they want more. IE if the fare is 3 euro 50 and you pay with 5 euro they say they DON'T have change!! So you are scammed into giving the 5!!! never heard ofr a taxi driver with no change.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scam by taxis!!!

If the fare is €3.50, I always gave €5 anyway!

logan
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scam by taxis!!!

Just back taxi allways had change !!!!!

surrey
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scam by taxis!!!

Sorry canarytime. can you clarify a point for me. Do you NOT tip as in post 1 or you DO tip as in post 3????? Not that it really matters, it's just a bit confusing that's all.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 21:59
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scam by taxis!!!

Marty said if the fare was €3.00 and they handed out €5, the driver would say they had no change. Then adds, "We always used to tip but no more".

That confused ME as though Marty expected the change from the fiver and then would give a separate tip.

I never make a point of giving a separate tip, just say "keep the €5".

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scam by taxis!!!

Hardly a scam for 1 euro and 50c, but worth the post if you say that all taxi drivers no longer have change.

I would in future, ensure that you have ample change to avoid this situation from occuring.

I personally would give the 5 euro note as I dont want a pocket full of change.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 11:52
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scam by taxis!!!

When on holiday I always try to keep a few one and two euro coins and small notes to avoid this scam. Its no different in any other country.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
736 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scam by taxis!!!

Never had a Puerto Rico driver with " no change" I am always happy to tip a driver with,a wee bit chat.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 19:55
10. Re: scam by taxis!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:15