We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

Bushey, England...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

We have been going to Hotel Cleopatra, Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, for a few years now. Love everything about the hotel, the location, the choice of restaurants, etc. However, we want to try somewhere different. We did think of Majorca, but going by comments made, we think we should stick to the Canaries. Gran Canaria seems a good alernative, but knowing nothing about the country, we could do with some advice.

We don't know which resort to look at, We are looking for a very nice hotel, b&b only. Our evening's entertainment is to go for a wander and choose somewhere interesting for dinner. We also like wandering around the shops. Basically, we would like to find somewhere new to go, but which will give us what we enjoy.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
657 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

Wide amount of choice on Gran Canaria. Depends on a lot of things really:

Peurto Rico - For the Brits on the P***. In a valley with apartments all on the hill side. In the middle is the 'Town' with many cheap bars and restaurants. Nice beach but not much there.

Maspalomas - Again not much going on in the resort area itself but close enough to visit Playa Del Ingles for €3 in taxi

Melonares - New ish resort, stylish nice hotels, next to Maspalomas. Russians seem to favor this area for the expensive shops

Mogan - Quaint - flower lined walkways, called Little Venice due to the water ways to the harbour.

Playa Del Ingles - Main resort on island, same size as Americas (maybe bigger) but the bars and shopping are located in various Centrums dotted around. They are kinda like concrete jungles to be honest.

Where ever you go you will enjoy. I'm sure my TA friends will add comments below :-)

London, England
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

jjohnboy

I think you have more or less summed it up. I lived and worked in GC for about 11 years, but wouldn't bother going back these days apart to see friends. Apart from Las Palmas, which IMHO has greatly improved, I think the main tourist resorts are very shabby.

Having said that, there are some nice hotels in Meloneras and Maspalomas.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

My vote goes to Meloneras too. 4-5 * hotels, lovely promenade for evening walks, plenty of restaurants to choose from in the hotels and on the prom,beach, and road. Also excellent access to the resort from the motorway for speedy airport transfers or days out. Also Meloneras has the Faro bus station which is a great starting point if you'd like to use buses to get around the island.

Do note that on tripadvisor/certain travel websites some hotels will be labelled as Maspalomas even if they are actually in Meloneras area. Not every website makes the distinction.

Hotels that are definitely in Meloneras are the 3 Lopesans (Costa Meloneras, Villa del Conde and Baobab) 2 Rius (ClubHotel Gran Can and Maspalomas Oasis), and H10 Playa Meloneras Palace, and the IFA Faro. I think some of the Seaside hotels are in Meloneras too (Palm Beach and Gran Hotel Residencia). None of these hotels are cheap - if you are interested, check out the official hotel website as it can be cheaper than a package.

If you enjoy days out, there is a lot to see on the island. Pretty villages in the north, the lovely old town area of Las Palmas, the gorgeous puerto mogan, and great views in the middle of the island.

I hope you find a hotel and resort you enjoy.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

VegasShowgirl

The hotels you have named are definitely some of the best. You are right in saying that to appreciate the island you need to get into the centre and northern parts. Las Palmas has improved immensely in recent years. The old part of Vegueta is definitely worth visiting. There is also good shopping too.

5. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 07:41
Edited: 19 February 2015, 07:41
england
Level Contributor
693 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

I fancied Puerto Rico for some march sun I'm beginning to have second thoughts now.

uk
Level Contributor
278 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

we are going to Puerto rico in march for the first time, and all I have read about PR does not sound like brits on the piss to me, it what you make of your time there that counts, I know we are going to have a great week away

Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
713 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

I would have to disagree about puerto rico its not all brits on the p**s we go every year and love the place its what you make of the holiday that counts, we are heading back this year but in december for the 1st time as we normally go may june september etc and I really can't wait

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

It quickly gets into an argument about Puerto Rico. if you like Blackpool it's probably OK. I wouldn't go there for free and agree with the comment above.

But you described something which sounds altogether more civilised and I would suggest that Maspalomas/Meloneras (effectively the same town) is marginally better than Puerto Mogan.for you. It also has the advantage of being close to Playa del Ingles which is a bit curates egg but some of it is very enjoyable. It is also easier to get around the island from there.. It has many good restaurants (as does PDI), good paseo walkway, nice hotels and cafes and the dunes are a wonder whether for a walk along the edge or sunbathing without being in easy listening distance of your neighbour (the beaches at Puertos Rico and Mogan are quite small) .

england
Level Contributor
693 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New visitors to Gran Canaria - advice wanted please

Don't won't any thing like Blackpool . I had picked Puerto Rico due to its good all year round sun shine . We have done Tenerife, landzerote furterventura the later two are far to windy for me in winter months and Tenerife felt a lot like going to Spain . Think I'll have a rethink and goggle were else is hot in march. Could do Egypt as I know it's hot there but don't really like being stuck in the AI hotels.