We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time

Oxford
Level Contributor
106 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
First time

Not sure if anyone can help me,

Im looking at going to Gran Canaria end of june time this year.

I have found a few hotels and wondered if people had views on them?

- IFA continental

- Riu Don Miguel Hotel

I am 22 years old and will be going with my boyfriend who is the same age.

We are looking for a chilled out holiday with some excursions to do ie vist zoos, boat trips etc.

Not fussed on night life as we arent big drinkers.

Any information on the weather then too would be great.

Many thanks

Ellie

England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time

If you google the hotels you'll find links to TA reviews. I haven't read them but they will probably encompas a great range, from terrible to brilliant.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time

Hi Ellie

We went to Gran Can late June every year from 2008-2012. No probs with the weather - glorious, early thirties temps.

Have you checked out the hotel reviews here on TA?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g562819-d2896…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g562819-d2370…

On the face of it, the Riu gets better reviews.

You say you aren't too fussed about nightlife - I think Playa Del Ingles is the nightlife capital in Gran Can - are you sure this is the right resort for you? Even if you aren't big drinkers, your neighbours in the hotel may well be....

Most hotels are able to help out with excursions - there will probably be a stand full of leaflets in reception, or there will be tour agents with shops in the resort who can offer excursions too. There's lots to do in Gran Canaria. Alternatively if you are happy to go it alone you could easily get to the Old Town area of the capital Las Palmas by bus.

I hope this helps, have a great time. PS - that's a great dress in your picture :)

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time

End of June almost anywhere in GC will be lovely and quite warm, 25-33C. As you are not looking for nightlife avoid PI and PR as well unless you are attracted by the cheap prices. Mogan has a very chilled out feeling, quite small but big enough, from there you can take a boat to PR for the day and get a bus to other resorts or Las Palmas - see reports for LP, Vegueta, Triana here on Trip Advisor. Have you thought of Las Canteras beach on the edge of Las Palmas, wonderful beach and very good bus service to everywhere. Don't be put off by peope saying the weather in the south is better, in June everywhere is great. There is good self catering place for around £50/night, try Owners Direct, but there are lots of others, and of course lots of hotels. As you are not great drinkers Las Canteras at night, almost entirely estaurants and hotels, is lovely to stroll along.

Oxford
Level Contributor
106 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time

vegasshowgirl - thank you. i did check out the reviews the riu don miguel seemed to have the better reviews. Im glad to know the weather will be good.

Ooo i never knew it was more of the centrel party island. Thank you for all the tips though.

PS.the dress from lipsy :) their sales are always great!

b.johnc many thanks for your reply The main reason was because of the prices as i am on a budget. Mogan looks lovely but its slightly out of my price range :(

Thank you i will take a look :)

Thank you trickseter 9 for your reply also :)

England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time

I recommend you take the bus to PR, then get the ferry to PM. It's a great day out but avoid Friday when the market takes over

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time

Ellie - just a thought - are you looking at packages only or have you looked at booking flights/hotels independently directly with the airlines/hotels? This can offer considerable savings over packages and may put some places you thought were out of the question back into your budget. And getting to the resorts from the airport independently is not particularly costly - the airport is well served by buses.

First two occasions we went to Gran Can for 1 week, we went on a Thomson Holiday. By trip 3 we booked directly with easyjet and the same hotel and got a 10 night holiday (and nicer flight times) for the same price we'd paid for 7 nights with Thomson....

Oxford
Level Contributor
106 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time

I was looking at packages. Thanks for the tip i booked yesterday with Thomson!

I will take that in mind for next time.

In the end i went with staying at Gran Canaria Princess

England
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time

Glad you got sorted!

Looked at the reviews.

seems it's had a refurb and nearly all the reviews were good.

We like popping into other hotels and I expect we'll check it out next week or the one after

Have a great time

Oxford
Level Contributor
106 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time

Yeah i see the recent reviews and pics and they all seem to be pretty good :) makes it a plus that it is an adult only also.

Oh brilliant let me know what you think! I hope you have a great time

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time

Glad you are sorted Ellie. I went to the Gran Can Princess' sister hotel in Tenerife, the Tenerife Princess (funny that...) many years ago as a teenager. It remains one of my fave pool areas ever. If there's one thing the Princess hotels know how to do well, it's a curvy pool with bridges, waterfalls and palm trees. Reviews seem to indicate the hotel is not over-run with lager louts but has a convenient location - should be ideal for you. I hope you have a great time.