We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Canary Island would be best for us?

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Canary Island would be best for us?

Hi this Sept my parents and myself are planning to go to one of the Canary Islands. We have been to a few of them years ago but wonder which is best for us now.

My parents are 50 and I am 20.

We want very warm weather 28 degrees plus

Beach side hotel

Possibly some good waterside activities (jet skiing, diving ect)

Do any of the island have animal attractions? Zoos, or horse riding or animal parks?

Not too bothered on Nightlife but would like shopping areas

We like Costa Teguise in Lanzerote but I looked and there seems to not many attractions that aren't volcano orientated. ( We visited the volcancos previously)

Could any expects advise please?

Thanks!

Presteigne, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Canary Island would be best for us?

I'd suggest Tenerife. We aways stay in Puerto de la Cruz in the North but I'm not sure if that would suit you as it's not guaranteed sunshine. Loro Parque is a wonderful zoo on the outskirts of Puerto de la Cruz - I'd definitely recommend visiting (other resorts on the island run day trips) and if possible, do a 'behind the scenes' tour. You get to see how well looked after the animals are. There is also Teide national park and some very quaint mountain villages. We've been to Lanzarote and felt that there was far more to see and do in Tenerife. I'll let someone else recommend a suitable resort - maybe Playa de las Americas or Los Cristianos. Hope you enjoy your holiday wherever you go.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Canary Island would be best for us?

Gran Canaria would indeed be a good option. Plenty of resorts in the south offer beachside hotels such as Playa del Ingles, Maspalomas/Meloneras, Puerto Rico, Puerto Mogan.

Weather should still be warm enough for you, especially in the south.

For watersports, see:

www.spain-grancanaria.com/uk/watersports.html

I believe there is excellent shopping in Las Palmas, and some "out of town" style big shopping centres en route from the resorts of the south to Las Palmas in the north via the excellent motorway.

Nightlife is quieter in Maspalomas/Meloneras and Puerto Mogan than Puerto Rico or Playa del Ingles.

if you pick Maspalomas, be certain of your hotel's exact location. Maspalomas is a spread out area with no real "centre" behind the very wide sand dunes. I would suggest a hotel either in Costa Meloneras or the area of Maspalomas which adjoins Meloneras for easy access to the beach and the promenade/seafront restaurants which are clustered near the lighthouse.

Lots of pretty villages/towns to visit in the centre and the north. Teror, Arucas with Rum factory, Agaete, caves at Cenobio de Valeron, "painted caves" at Guia, botanical gardens just outside Las Palmas, impressive rugged coastline drives along the north coast. The historical old town part of Las Palmas. Views from the Pico de las Nieves in the centre of the island - all the way over to Teide in Tenerife.

Palmitos Park is the big animal attraction in GC (never been there myself)

http://www.palmitospark.es/?lang=en

Hire cars are cheap and buses are good.

Hope this helps.

3. Re: Which Canary Island would be best for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:16