We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Luton, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

After coming back from a holiday in Spain, I received a letter from Spanish authority (written in Spanish) informing me that I received a speed camera fine for speeding.There were instruction that I may pay the fine using the following website http://www.dgt.es/. Unfortunately unless you can read Spanish you're going to struggle to navigate around the site. I managed to come across this site which provided step by step instructions on how to pay the fine:

mamunahmed.com/08/…comment-49297

Hope this help anyone like me who was caught speeding while on holiday.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Hi. If it was in a hire car then ring then for advice.

You posted this on the GC forum. Did you get this fine here or actually in Spain?

Luton, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Should have made my post clearer - I got the fine in Gran Canaria

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Call me suspicious but are you sure that it is a genuine letter and not a scam. I thought that any speeding fines went to the hire company who then debited your credit card. I bet no one from abroad would pay a fine if our authorities sent them a letter like this.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Yes, that was my thought when I read it. Then I read it again and I'm not sure it is a genuine post at all, never mind the said "fine"!

Send your payments to here please...

It seems a strange and "helpful" post for someone to have taken the trouble for first post I'm afraid.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 22:14
Luton, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Just received confirmation from the car hire company that they did pass on my details to Spanish authorities

Penrith, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Scam ??

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Your details may have been obtained from the hire company but I still don't see that this is official. What are the authorities going to do if you do not pay, extradite you?

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

What ever happen when the rental company passed your details to the Authorities? I got an email today about a speeding fine. I forfeit €40 and il have to pay the fin separately with the authorities. how much will the fine be?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Work collegue had a similar situation but in mainland Spain 40 euro to the hire company for supplying contact details to the police, (as per car hire company t's & c's), was the first he knew a couple of weeks later he got the letter/fine in the post.He used the telephone number supplied as he had difficulty paying on the website, they spoke excellent english and were very helpful. Think fines vary depending on speed above the limit etc and how quickly you pay

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying a speeding fine - Gran Canaria

Ashtonianwigan. No you're not likely to get extradited, however euro countries are now forging new links and mutual agreements on cross boarder offences and offenders. If you return to spain having failed to pay fines there is always a likelihood they get you when you return, depending on how stringent they are. Hardly worth the worry.