We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Plus Car Rental

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Auto Plus Car Rental

Hi we're just back from Gran Canaria, we booked a car with Auto Plus Car. So here is my review.

Having read previous reviews about this company I decided to book with them. We met Andres the rep at the arrivals hall in Las Palmas Airport. From there he took us outside to the car park where our car was. He showed us the car then took payment of €111. I expected to pay a deposit but he assured me it was not necessary. I was plesantly surprised! There was a half tank of petrol in the car. All that he asked was for us to return it the same. He paid the parking ticket and I was on my way after the usual swapping of license and address details. When I returned the car at 04:30 Monday morning, I simply drove into car park A and left the key and ticket in the car for Auto Plus to collect. A simple hassle free experience at such an early hour. We were so happy with the experience that we have already booked another car through them with this company for our return trip. I haven't come across a bad review for the company and I was happy. The car was very clean inside. There was a few scratches on it but they were relaxed when I outlined them before I took the car. It's fully insured if u happened to scratch it which I didn't of course. I would highly recommend this rental company.

50 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

Standard procedure. Only unusual to pay cash and be welcomed by a person instead of going to a counter. How many days you had the car for this price?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

Not usual procedure with many car hire companies in the Canaries, there are often hidden extra charges for second drivers, child seats, excessive petrol charges and demands for extra insurance and the payment at the car is usually by card with Pluscar not cash and we paid 86 euro for a weeks hire with Autospluscar earlier this year

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

if you book in advance through a booking portal, you can read the T&Cs to make sure you avoid surprises. It is not only Auto Plus offering these options and it is the same situation for many countries in the world. US for example is more complicated with regards to insurances than GC.

I recommend to book through one of the bigger booking portals to get the best deals. If the filter is not pre-set, choose full/full petrol rule and full comprehensive insurance without any cost sharing in case of accidents. Also second driver is included with many offers. Child seat often is charged extra.

Carlow, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

The €111 was paid by credit card. Child seats were free of charge. I had the car for 9 days at this price. Have booked this Company again for later on in the year.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

Do not get me wrong. I agree this was a good experience. If I were you I would choose the company again as well and I personally consider it in the future as option.

The price is OK as well. Can be cheaper, but also more expensive, depending on the time of booking. I assume with full insurance without any cost sharing in case of any damage.

It is just my experience that you usually get a good experience when booking in advance through internet when the conditions are clear. Most of the companies are reliable, even though the standards of the cars is a bit lower with regards to maintenance compared to other areas in Europe (where you easily pay 30 Euros and more per day.

For sure it is a good idea to avoid cheap deals with limited insurance and bad fuel deals.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2,464 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

Most bookings with Autopluscar are made via the internet where all t's and c's are available to read online Hopefully Cookie will be able to let us know which hire company to use that have better or equal t's and c's as Autospluscar / Topcar autoreisen or Cicar from Las Palmas airport most intereted so can book them for our next visit

Edited: 06 June 2014, 07:22
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

You mentioned some options already. What else do you expect. This only proofs my statements of my first post here. I would always also check portals like Autoescape, locationdevoiture.fr, billiger-mietwagen.de etc.

Even when booking through cicar, you might get the contract at the end with one of their partners, for example Orlando Car. Got good feedback from friends on Cicar and also Orlando. Pay attention to the insurance T&Cs. Sometimes they vary and when booking through portals, they may add independent extra insurance, meaning in case of an accident, you might have to pay the agreed cost sharing first and get it refunded later. Of course to have full insurance coverage agreed with the rental company makes the process easier.

Limerick, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

I have just come back having rented a car from this crowd for 3 weeks in fuerteventura... Would have said they were hassle free and easy to work with until I spotted last night that they had taken a further 50e from my account with no authorisation. .. Can't think why they would have. ... absolutely no damage to car (full insurance/no excess anyway) and car was given back with nearly 3/4 tank of petrol when I received it with 1/2...Any one else with experience of this? ...I have emailed them with no reply.

Wirral
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

Used Plus Car in both Lanzarote and Gran Canaria for the past 5 years.

Always a pleasure to book with them.

Usually at the airport, or a quick lift to their depot.

No hidden extras, no checks, return with the same amount of fuel.

Not the newest of cars but fine for the holiday.

Already booked 8-22 October. 164.64 euros, seems good to me.

Durham, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Auto Plus Car Rental

I have used pluscar for a while now and have found them to be very good however on my last visit i had 2 cars booked for our party. The first bloke was fine but the girl who took our second booking made a mistake with the first driver. She then refused to alter it saying it cost money, even though it was not signed, and it was my fault, she eventually walked off leaving it to the first rep. I had the choice of not signing or paying or putting up with one driver. Rather than spoil it for everyone else I chose the latter , and e-mailed the office on return.They apologised but said they could not change the agreement at the time.(I'm not sure they understood fully what I had said). All i would say is double check they have the correct info even as they write it out to avoid any confusion.

Reply to: Auto Plus Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted