We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

healthcare gran canaria

Level Contributor
36 posts
47 reviews
healthcare gran canaria

Is a uk traveler to gran canaria entitled to free hospital care if needed? What are the national hospital like?

Playa de Mogan...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
1. Re: healthcare gran canaria

If you get your New european health card. Before you come.(the old E111)

You will get free healthcare on the state. (if you come from a european country)

The state health care in hospitals here is state of the art top class. only two to a room sharing ensuite bathroom. Can recomend it for absolute top class treatment.

There is a Centro Salud, in every village with fully qualified doctor and nurse there 24 hours 7days per week. at night just ring the bell . Produce your passport and and new european health card. And you will recieve free treatment, even if you are sent to hospital.

(You still need to get private travel insurance in case you need doctor and nurse service to be transfered in a medical situation back to your own country).

But i all medical treatment here in hospital or at the local state centro salud is free. As long as you have the new european medical card.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: healthcare gran canaria

Paulmogan is completely correct but just to clarify:

A centro de salud is like a medical centre. Everything has to go through a centro de salud for referral to hospital.

For the south, there are centro de salud's in Puerto Mogan, Arguineguin and Maspalomas.. Arguineguin tends to be shut at night with a nurse on call. They usually direct people directly to maspalomas. They will not see you if you dont have your EHIC AND a passport. The language spoken is spanish so you may need to take someone with you who speaks spanish.

If hospitalisation is needed then you will be taken to Hospital San Roque in Meloneras. This is a dual hospital catering for private and public patients. Children or complicated cases are often taken directly to the Hospital Insular which is in Las Palmas.

You will need travel insurance as well as the EHIC. In fact some travel insurance is not valid with out it. Travel insurance will cover you to be repatriated, if needs be and for all the other things that may happen on your hols - lost luggage etc.

As well as the centro de saluds, there are private health clinics in all the tourist areas.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 16:33
Playa de Mogan...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
3. Re: healthcare gran canaria

GCE is correct.

But you can take yourself off to accident and emergency centres at the state hospitals as well. If it is a child it is sometimes best to do that as children have there own accident and emergency centre at the state hospital insular in Las Palmas. quite seperate there from the adult A.and E at the same hospital.

In the south Centro saluds are not allowed to send children to the San Roque.The dual state/private one. They only refer them to the childrens accident and emergency dept at the Insular in Las palmas to be seen by peadiatricians at all times.Its a rule they have here for dealing separately with children. so they only see childrens doctors at all times.

4. Re: healthcare gran canaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:25
Get answers to your questions about Las Palmas de Gran...