We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island Which Resort

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island Which Resort

We are planning our first trip to the Canaries the first week of January 2010 & have the choice of Lanzarote or Tenerife going by the flight schedules out of Glasgow.

Which island/resort would be best for a middle aged couple not into bars & want more local culture.

The main reason for this holiday is a week of complete relaxation.

Thanks

Rettie

Brits in la Palma
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island Which Resort

Hi Rettie, I picked up your thread on the La Palma forum. Lets put it this way, if you really want relaxation and local culture then I would check out La Palma. The problem you have is that there are only direct flights from the UK by Thomsons on Mondays from Manchester and Gatwick. If you did want to fly from Glasgow you would have to change at Las Palmas (Gran Canaria) or Tenerife South catch a taxi to Tenerife North airport and onwards in both cases using either Binter Canarias or Islas Airways. In my opinion, having spent over 25 years in the Canaries La Palma is my ultimate choice. Hope this helps. Regards John.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island Which Resort

Hi

Thanks for the reply

Sorry to be ignorant but is La Palma a seperate Island or on Lanzarote.

FYO, Thomas Cook fly out of Glasgow on Sundays to Tenerife & Lanzarote this winter.

Rettie

Brits in la Palma
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island Which Resort

Hi there

La Palma is a seperate small green island known as "La Isla Bonita"- The Beautful Island. Don't worry many people get La Palma confused with Palma Majorca or Las Palmas on Gran Canaria. To confirm only Thomsonfly.com fly direct from the UK. If I can offer any help please dont hesitate to ask. Best regards John.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island Which Resort

I have to agree with the previous posts - having been to Tenerife and Gran Canaria, La Palma really is completely different and with lovely scenery, though you do need to get out of your accomodation on trips or hire a car to really appreciate it. If you want to avoid the mass tourism of the other islands this is the place to go.

Otherwise, I have had a recommendation that Los Gigantes on tenerife is ok. Good luck!

5. Re: Which Island Which Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 05:16