We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed!!

Bury, Lancs
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed!!

I've never been to been to La Palma before but I've been reading up on it and it looks very much like my cup of tea!

Two questions I need to ask, if anyone can help me:

1) I believe that the west side of the island is the sunnier/warmer side, although I understand there is no guarantee, how do you book holidays there as all the web sites seem to have hotels on the east side. Does anyone know which agent/web site caters for accommodation in the west?

2) Also, we would probably be travelling late October/early November, would the weather still be reasonably warm then and also are there still flights at that time of the year from Manchester? I seem to be struggling to get the information

Be grateful for any info anyone can offer.

Many Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed!!

I'm not sure that any UK travel operators do package tours to the West side of La Palma. Most people book hotels and flights separately. Tripadvisor will give you the names of hotels - Probably the best place to look is in Tazacorte. Thomson are the only airline that fly direct to La Palma and they do indeed have flights in October and November. Check out their website for details.

Never been to La Palma in the late Autumn but I suspect it will be pleasantly warm but it can of course rain at any time.

La Palma
Destination Expert
for La Palma
Level Contributor
565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed!!

Hi there,

there is a choice of rural houses, hotels or apartments all over the island and there should be not trouble booking any of those and booking your flight separately. If you want any pointers, PM me.

As platypuspie says, www.thomsonfly.com are the only ones that have direct flights to la Palma. From Gatwick there are flights year round and from Manchester the flights are from September to Aptil/May.

The weather is normally pretty settled right up to the end of October after which it can start to be variable at times. Sea level in the west is the best choice for sun and there is a range of apartments in Tazacorte. But other than that, there are rural houses if you don't want to be by the beach. Enjoy!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed!!

Hi we're coming in April after thinking about La Palma for a few years. We booked our holiday 10 weeks before we fly and found that a package with Thomson was cheaper than the flight only option with them!! We're not normal package holiday types but thought it was a no brainer! So it's worth comparing the two, that way, you could maybe book a couple of nights on the other side of the island if you fancied.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed!!

Having just returned on Friday I can confirm that at this time of year the west is definitely warmer and sunnier than the east though I don't know about the autumn.

We booked flights and accommodation seperately but be aware that Thomson can charge a £48 return hold luggage charge and only allow 5kg hand luggage which may affect the econonmics of choosing to go package or independent.

Spectacular unspoilt scenery, we would love to go back.

5. Re: Help needed!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 05:15