We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

We're likely to book a week in La Palma this October. Originally I'd planned on booking the La Palma Princess, but after a bit more research I also like the look of Hacienda San Jorge since both can be booked with Thomson. We're looking for a hotel that's quiet (not too many kids running round), has nice grounds, and has good food or is within a 10-15 min walk of restaurants.

Does anyone have any views on which of these hotels would suit us best?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

We also liked the look of Hacienda San Jorge but left it too late to book so went to the Princess. Princess grounds are quite nice, it also has as you will have seen from the brochure a lot of swimming pools. There weren't that many kids there when we went but can't speak for school term time.

The food was good at the hotel but doesn't meet your criteria of "within a 10-15 min walk of restaurants". The hotel is remote and at the foot of a very steep hill beneath Fuencaliente. From memory it took the bus 20 minuts to get from Fuencaliente to the hotel. From Fuencaliente you can then get other buses to the capital and other destinations.

We had a good holiday there and would go back. Not having been to Hacienda San Jorge it is hard to say which to choose but my inclination in answering your question would be HSJ

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Not stayed at the La Palma Princess, but stayed at the HSJ several years ago. The grounds were excellent, the pool area clean and well sheltered and the accomodation, whilst being a little dated, was clean and spacious. There are several resaturants and bars within walking distance, and we found it perfectly located for touring the island, and only about 10 minutes from the capital.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Both hotels look good, but if we're able to book then I think we'll probably go for HSJ because we like to have the choice to eat out of the hotel.

Does anyone know how far in advance you typically need to book these hotels to be assured of availability?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Unfortunately the Thomson flights are fridays and we need a saturday flight if going this year, so looks like we'll do La Palma next year instead.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Something to look forward to!

Re #3. If booking HSG I'd do that quite early. I think, but no guarantees, that you could leave booking La Palma Princess much later although it may be the flights that are the limiting factor.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Hi Tonyin, how early to book HSG? Next year my wife's leave will be less restricted and we should be able to book the autumn holiday fairly early in the year.

7. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 17:03
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

How early to book? Depends I think how disappointed you'd be if there was no availability. As it is "only" a deposit you have to pay early my inclination would be as soon as practicable - when tour company accept bookings / when your wife knows what leave dates she can book etc

Edited: 17 April 2014, 18:26
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

Thanks, TonyinUK. I think we're likely to book HSJ and will look to do so early next year about 6-7 months ahead of going.

10. Re: Hacienda San Jorge or La Palma Princess

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:15