We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

porta del carmen

carlow
1 post
Save Topic
porta del carmen

hi all,

just back from two weeks in porta del carmem, it was our second time in the resort, my wife four kids and myself couldn't wait to get back as we had a ball there before.

but my how things have changed, the only word i can find to sum it up is a total hell hole, i have never been harrassed so many times in my life, these bloodly PR's as they call themselves, watch you eating your dinner in a pub and as soon as you walk out they try and drag you into there pub, and i mean drag, they dont take no for an answer, they cross the road after you and they really do try and drag you in, i had one where my wife had to call for help from the local police it got that bad between a so-called pr and myself, he had a holed of my 10 year old daughters arm and dragged her in to a pub thinking that we would follow and buy drinks for the night, and i can tell you i followed alright, it's totally unreal, the last time we were there we loved going for a walk along the prom after our dinner, but you can forget that, these guys are total scum, it's a real pity cause it real is a beautiful place, pity these scum have to turn people off, i will never set foot in the place again, i think iran would be a better place, more peaciful.

Scotland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: porta del carmen

I'm afraid I have to agree that Puerto del Carmen - the strip anyway - has changed for the worse. We hadn't been for a couple of years and had never had any hassle from the PRs in previous years. Like you, we used to enjoy walking along the strip in the evenings and found the place very laid back. Unfortunately this year we found that not only were there lots more people hassling you to go into bars and restaurants than before, they were also generally more pushy and some were even on the prowl during the daytime. One guy swore at my husband when he politely said no thanks to going into a bar one afternoon. The problem seems to be worse the further towards the old town end you go, so we eventually confined ourselves to the end nearer Los Pocillos (where we were staying) which isn't too bad, and only went to restaurants which didn't pester us to go in!!

We did feel that the island was quieter than usual, so maybe the businesses are having to compete harder for what custom there is, especially as so many hotels are offering AI.

I've always defended Puerto del Carmen, despite the tackiness of the strip, because it has a lot of good points and is basically a nice resort, but I'd hesitate to recommend it now just because of the amount of hassle. It's just not fun and I didn't feel as comfortable there as before. It hasn't put us off Lanzarote though - it's a beautiful island and we'll be back, but I'm sorry to say we'll be giving PDC a wide berth in future.

2. Re: porta del carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2008, 11:54
3. Re: porta del carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 10:22