We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island is the warmest !

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
176 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island is the warmest !

I have heard that in the winter (November/December) one of the Canarie islands is the more sheltered and therefore the warmer than the others but I can`t remember which. Has anyone got an opinion on this?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

Hi

Below are both the Average and the Maximum figures for Tenerife for November and December over the last 3 years. These cover the whole month in each case not just a specific date.

November 76°F/24°C 86°F/30°C

December 72°F/22°C 82°F/27°C

November 78°F/25°C 87°F/30°C

December 72°F/22°C 77°F/25°C

November 75°F/23°C 86°F/30°C

December 72°F/22°C 78°F/25°C

These temperatures are for the South of the Island. The weather is very different in the North - any European weather that hits the north gets stopped by Mount Teide - which means Tenerife is like two countries. For sun, sea, pub and club, go to the south; for green, scene, Spain and rain, go to the north.

england
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

hi,here are the temperatures for all the main islands as supplied by weather underground.

they are monthly forcasts and give the maximum,average and minimum temperatures for the islands as a whole,the focasts are from 2007.

tenerife

max avg min

nov 78 °F / 25 °C 65 °F / 18 °C 57 °F / 13 °C

dec 62 °F / 16 °C 58 °F / 14 °C 53 °F / 11 °C

lanzarote

nov 84 °F / 28 °C 74 °F / 23 °C 69 °F / 20 °C

dec 73 °F / 22 °C 69 °F / 20 °C 66 °F / 18 °C

gran canaria

nov 86 °F / 30 °C 75 °F / 23 °C 69 °F / 20 °C

dec 77 °F / 25 °C 71 °F / 21 °C 68 °F / 20 °C

fuerteventura

nov 86 °F / 30 °C 76 °F / 24 °C 71 °F / 21 °C

dec 75 °F / 23 °C 72 °F / 21 °C 66 °F / 18 °C

decide for yourself what island is the warmest.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

Have stayed in Gran canaria, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura at Christmas in the past, and Fuerteventura and Lanzarote did feel the warmest, and were my favourite of the Canary Islands. Temperatures generally low to mid 70's with a nice breeze.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

Well thank you for working out the average temperatures for me - it looks like the winner is Fuerteventura followed closely by Gran Canarie; Lanzarote then Tenerif. Thank you!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

That is not a correct analysis, those figures are for airport weather stations, not the resorts. There are greater variations on individual islands like Gran Canaria and Tenerife where the high mountains make it cooler/cloudier on the north coasts. Those figures for Tenerife I guess would be from the northern airport.

The south coasts of the larger mountainous islands and the smaller flatter islands will be just about identical. After all they are close together.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

Hi Retired Hippy

I agree, that is why I said that the temperatures that I submitted were for the South of Tenerife, actually from Las Americas. As you say it is a lot cooler in the North in the winter months as Stealth11 has pointed out. Not sure where the temperatures for the other islands came from but checking my usual weather website www.wunderground.com the temperature for

Maspalomas, Gran Canaria last November based on High, Average and Low was

88.2°F/31.2°C 71.1°F/21.7°C 60.6 °F/ 5.9 C

& December

82.2°F/27.9°C 67.4°F/19.6°C 54.5°F/12.5°C

PUERTO DEL ROSARIO, FUERTEVENTURA,

November 2007

85.5°F/29.7°C 68.7°F/20.4°C 58.5°F/ 14.7°C

December

71.9°F/22.2°C 65.3°F/18.5°C 52.4°F/ 11.3°C

Lanzarote only appears to have one weather station listed GUATIZA don’t know where it is and if it is a resort sounds like a Canarian village.

England
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

Hi,

RE post above, Guatiza is a village near the north of the island. The north of Lanzarote is a lot cooler than the Southern resorts of Puerto del Carmen and Playa Blanca. The weather in Lanzarote is more or less the same as Fuerteventura only less windy. I do beleive that the warmest place is Puerto Rico in Geran Canaria, this is becuse the bay is sheltered.

8. Re: Which Island is the warmest !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 15:19