We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques

I recently posted a query regarding Travellers Cheques on this forum and would like to thank those who responded. The replies were spot on.

Basically we had a sizable amount of TCs that had been purchased a few years ago, and during each holiday have changed a few here and there at hotels we stayed at.

This trip, we were staying at a hotel that did not accept TCs.

I asked the forum about where we could go as we needed to use the TCs as we were talking about 500 plus Euros needing to be exchanged.

The TCs were American Express and were in Euros.

NO bank wanted to look at them nor take them. Even SANTANDER who are affiliated with AMEX.

Forum participants were smack on the money (no pun intended) when they said it would be difficult to present TCs.

So a BIG thank you for your warnings posted in response to my original query regarding TCs. Hopefully there are others who will not get stung by this by also being forewarned.

Thankfully our story has a happy ending and we found somewhere that accepted and only charged 1Euro per 100.

Again, thank you for your wealth of good factual information in reply to forum queries.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

Pleased you got some away, get yourself a Travel Card,

www.caxton.com

these are brilliant ones, and come in Global, Euro or Dollar, we have each :-)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,787 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

Travellers cheques are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. We have a Halifax Clarity card which has no fees attached to it at all, no preloading, and you get the bank to bank rate. We do have a preloaded card as well. I think it's a FairFX, but it's never been used.

Volendam, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

Can you tell me where you exchanged them?

I am travelling to Lanzarote in a week or so and want to take my travellers cheques with me, which I can't get exchanged anymore in the Netherlands, where I live.

I would really be happy to get them finally exchanged, having them for a few years now, waiting for a holiday destination where I will be able to exchange them...

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,787 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

This thread was started 15 months ago, and the place that accepted travellers cheques then may not accept them now.

Hopefully Queenie will still be watching this thread, but after all this time she may not be.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,713 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

Channa730. I presume your TCs are in Euros so can't you just pay them into your own bank?

Volendam, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

@Leyland: thanks for your support

@Keitht: I didn't try a bank yet. All the exchange places I called told me the only thing I could do with them, is use them in a country that still accepts them. I will call my bank, maybe this is an option too. Thanks!

7. Re: Travellers Cheques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 06:18