We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking at hotels when on holiday vs reviews!

Fairford, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
looking at hotels when on holiday vs reviews!

Hi all

Whilst in PDC we saw a few hotels that we thought looked nice and then had a look when we got home here on Tripadvisor.

I think this ties in nicely to the other thread about what we did before Tripadvisor and I remember being in a resort I would return to and looking at other accommodation wishing I could go there!!

We stayed in Jable Bermudas which, to be honest from, the outside wasn't overly flash. We were next door to Los Hibiscus which looked really nice, with a good pool area yet this was ranked 46 out of 89.

Also the Apartments Panorama - again looked really nice at night all lit up with a lovely pool area - again 60 out of 89.

Fascinating - just shows appearances can be deceptive!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking at hotels when on holiday vs reviews!

Its several years since we visited lanzarote and had a horrible time at the holiday village - it was like butlins

Although we were all inclusive we spent last few days and nights sampling local hotels during day and on evening in case we wanted to return

Yaiza suites was a very classy place we thought but maybe a bit too stuffy

Rubicon palace was also impressive back then and was good atmosphere on evenings in there although a bit far out and the food doesn't get great reviews on here now

This time we have decided to do the exact opposite of all inclusive and go bed and breakfast and hire a car so we can try the best things suggested around the island

Have booked casa claddagh b and b in guime based on the reviews on here

Thought about rubicon without the all inclusive but not getting great reviews

Vulcan couldn't accomodate a family of four in a room for our dates

And yaiza suites is mega expensive based on rooms they have left available !!

Think they only had presidential suite left for new year !

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking at hotels when on holiday vs reviews!

Hello Squirrel,

The thing is about hotel reviews is that people look for different things

We are PDC Veterans, going at least twice a year and stay every time in the Rocas Blancas and they are perfect for us, also with being repeat customers, we book direct and get a excellent deal.

They are spacious, clean have friendly staff and no hills to climb, with the crown jewel being the view.

They are located just across the road for the beach and also close to centro Atlantico and whilst we are sometimes out until 3 or 4 in the morning we are also sometimes back for midnight or just after and have no complaints about the noise.

It doesn't have a very big pool, but for us that is not a problem, as we choose to go out walking and stopping for refeshments through the day.

The only negative I would say personally for us is the days when the recycling is done on the road behind and it can wake you at 5ish in the morning, no porblem getting back to sleep when they are done though..

I can understand that the RB would not be for everyone, but I cannot for he life of me understand how they can be 68 out of 88 in the ratings!, a casual browser coming across the reviews would not give it a second glance where as .......

We would never chose anywhere else !!

Happy Holidays

Danny

Edited: 14 December 2012, 09:00
UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking at hotels when on holiday vs reviews!

You've got to be aware though that the ranking is heavily influenced by the number of reviews, this seriously affects it's overall position i.e. RB only has 48 reviews ! Some properties have 500+ and a few 1,000+ reviews.

Personally I don't take too much notice on any destination accom rankings I prefer to look at the ratio of Excellent to Terrible and everything in between ratings

4. Re: looking at hotels when on holiday vs reviews!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 06:17