We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
867 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

I have just seen a report that the hop on hop off bus service for tourists - Lanzarote Vision - "has been suspended indefinitely ... The company which is part of the TUI group, decided to withdraw their service due to low demand."

While it's a shame that this reduces options for visitors, I am not surprised that the concept has not taken off across an island like Lanzarote as it has in so many major cities world-wide. After all, car hire on the island is so affordable and it's so easy to get around, there must have been a very limited market for them.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,634 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

I read that one as well. As you say, car hire is reasonable and driving is easy.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
482 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

Is it reallt that easy? i was thinking of driving, giving it a go anyway when we return in oct. never driven in spain at all, how easy it is being on the ' other side of the road' ha ha

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

Yes, it really is easy in Lanzarote. The roads are very good and empty by UK standards, so it's a real pleasure to drive over there.

But it does take some getting used to the first time you do it - but you've got to start somewhere or you'll never give it a go!!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

fretz

It is a piece of cake,

the Island is so small as well, you can gret around it all at your leisure, the beaches at Papagayo are a great

spot if you head over that way

Happy Holidays

Danny

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,070 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

Hi

Yes after swamping the island with (needless) All Inclusive offerings .......TUI/Thomsons have decided to withdraw this service as no-one was using it........not surprising given that these tour ops. had already taken the tourists money by forcing them into AI.....so hardly surprising the tourists have no spare cash to spend on going out then!!!

Edited: 09 August 2013, 14:37
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,980 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

quote from the series Benidorm

Dad, my friend Tom when outside yesterday, can we go outside tomorrow, "we can't go outside son, you have to pay out there" lol

pdcAR
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

After the long (years) and hard fought battle to get the licence, I find it ironic that due to the now much increased all inclusive offer, there would appear to be far fewer ‘independent’ tourists requiring this service. Obviously not the case when the idea was first developed about three years ago.......when they were inclined to have a bit of the taxi and sightseeing pie also. Couple this to the inevitable hard sell from reps for their own island tours and just perhaps they have ‘shot themselves in the foot’ here.

It is mildly pleasing that one of their own ventures appears to have failed at their sister company’s hands !!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,634 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

Couldn't agree more :) :)

London
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

I do find it strange when people comment about driving on the "wrong" side of the road! It feels a little un-natural changing gear with your right hand (I still often find my left hand looking for the gear stick and winding the window down....) but because the car is set up to drive on the right you adapt very quickly.

What is difficult is driving a british right hand drive car and the right (or wrong side!) because of the setup. Overtaking is particularly life threatening.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lanzarote Vision Hop On, Hop Off Service Suspended

Totally agree accountant. It was either sit behind a slow car for ages or rely on passenger telling me when to overtake! Don't know which was worse. As we had taken two cars to Spain, I had no choice, but did not enjoy it. Like you say, driving in Lanzarote is a doddle. Much prefer it to driving at home. Not a lot of traffic, good roads well signposted. Even if you take wrong turn you can't get lost!