We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

London, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

Hello, my family and I are travelling to Lanzarote in March 2014 for our annual holiday.

We visited Lanzarote last year and had a bit of trouble with money and our hire car.

We used a Nationwide card out there but the card didn't work in a lot of the cash points and I couldn't get any money out. The card worked every now and then, the machines were saying we had zero funds however when we returned we had at least £500 left. I was wondering what is the best bank to use to get money out of when in Lanzarote?

Also what is the best car company to hire from? We do not have credit cards so some companies will not allow us to use them.

We used Anthon last year and they were great but very expensive, who are the best?

Thank you for your help

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

We use Autoreisen but pay by credit card. Could try contacting them and asking. DON'T USE GOLDCAR!

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
811 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

If you look at the top right of this screen you'll see "Top questions about Lanzarote" one of which is "Car Hire" - read that before hiring! That said, I agree with response 1.

Renting a car without a credit card would always be always an issue, wherever in the world you're going; quite simply, the rental firm want to make sure they get paid, they have more chance of that with a credit card than a debit card!

We've occasionally had problems getting cash out with our Co-operative Bank debit card in ATM machines, but as we've always had alternative cards with us, it's never been a problem for us. One tip would be to make sure you let the bank(s) know that you're going to Spain and what dates you'll be away, so you can minimise the chance of your card being rejected.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,025 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

Definitely avoid Goldcar. Autoreisen are a good company according to people that use them. We've always used Cabrera Medina (20+ yrs) and will continue to unless they give us cause to swap to a different company.

c3k
Milton Keynes UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

I used my Nationwide debit card 3 times last week in cashpoints in PB to get €300 and 2 lots of €200 out. I used a nationwide credit card for any other purchases as this doesn't attract too many foreign exchange charges. Moneysavingexpert has a good travel guide for holiday money.

Out of interest many of the booze/fags shops in PB were offering equal or better exhange rates for GBP to EUR than Nationwide was offering (last week they were offering 1.15. I was getting just less than that with Nationwide). Didn't use them, not do I know how reputable these places are but you could always bring over all your spends in GBP (with EUR bought in the UK before arrival) and convert your pounds as you need them.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
811 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

You'll have to weigh up the obvious risks of having all your holiday money in cash as against the security of bank cards and the small potential saving from a better exchange rate at a shop in Playa Blanca.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,025 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

If you do take cash, make sure your insurance cover for cash is high enough. Typically they're often only around £300.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

I used a Caxton pre paid card for our trip this year it was accepted everywhere without any problems

We also used it for paying for car hire with Cabrera Medina

Verwood, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

Hi,

We have used Cabrera Medina for many years and always paid by Debit Card without any problems. I think Autoreisen will accept a Debit Card but your €100 deposit which is returned at the end of the hire.

Hope this helps.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

Autos plus car , no card needed , one cash payment when picking up the car , no deposit required , no fuel scam , price quoted is the price you pay , nice clean cars too ,

10. Re: Annual Lanzarote trip, need some help on car and money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:19