We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windy June

London, United...
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Windy June

I was going to book Costa Teguise for late June, but then read that there are really strong winds at that time of year..... would this spoil the holiday... eg, make it feel cold, make sitting on the beach uncomfortable?

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Windy June

In June? Where did you read that? The trade winds are normally winter time.June is a nice month,

enjoy

Keith

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Windy June

Late may/June is a perfect time to go and the wind your talking about is often a very welcome breeze. This wind obsession seems to have blown (no pun intended) out of all proportion . By their location alone, in the Atlantic, they are always going to have some breeze and for me it's far nicer than being late 30s with no breeze at all. I've been places where it's 40 plus degrees and too hot to do a thing and unbearable. However some people love very high temps and sunbathe all day. Each to their own.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windy June

I haven't been in June but found this interesting article from TA, I was told by a guide at one point in the summer there is a hot wind called the hair dryer wind

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187477-s208/Lanzar…

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windy June

the only fault with the breeze is that it lulls you into a false sense of security as regards the sun.You dont realise you are catching the sun because it is comfortable not sticky.

England
Level Contributor
729 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windy June

I've been in June & I'm telling the truth when I say you will welcome a nice breeze. It's definitely not a wind that would spoil your holiday. It's very warm from 10am all the way thru to teatime.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windy June

We went in late June and it was a lot windier than Gran Can, also definitely a couple of degrees cooler. It didn't stop the people on the beach. The wind wasn't the problem, the issue was more the bank of cloud that rolled back in over Playa Blanca every evening around 6pm, which along with the breeze, curtailed early evening sunbathing, made the evenings cooler (so a cardigan was required), and no chance of a late night read on the balcony.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windy June

Last June was windier than usual in Lanzarote. As lanzarote generally gets the best weather in the Canaries, it may well have been windier than usual last June in Gran Canaria also?

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windy June

Looking at these charts Gran Canaria is more windy in June and July than Lanzarote, using the chart and the beaufort scale you can see what type of wind to expect historically

windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_gando…

windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_lanza…

beaufort scale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

9. Re: Windy June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18