We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Lanzarote

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Lanzarote

This will be my first trio to the Canary Islands and I've chosen to stay on Lanzarote. Without hiring a car will I be able to get around the Island pretty easy by bus? I'm wanting to go to Timanfaya NP and a few beaches. Can't decide whether to stay in Teguise, Arrecife, Puerto del Carmen or Playa Blanca. I will be travelling alone so what's a good quiet location for a female traveller? Thanks.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
784 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

Hi

I think you would be much better hiring a car (which is cheap, but see the Top Ten Questions, above right) or going on organised tours (eg Lastminute), rather than relying on public transport. Anyway, here is the link to the bus timetables and fares:

intercitybuslanzarote.es/index.php?lang=en

You say you can't decide whether to stay in Teguise etc - do you actually mean Teguise or Costa Teguise? Teguise is the very lovely, historic former capital of the island, with limited tourist accommodation, whereas Costa Teguise a few miles away is a big, sprawling modern tourist resort on the coast.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

Okay thanks. I will look into organised tours.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

I think as a single person the organised tours are quite cost effective unless you plan to drive all over the island. If there are two of you it gets cheaper in a car as you are sharing the petrol, hire etc

London, UK
Level Contributor
242 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

I travel to Lanzarote on my own several times a year, I now have lots of friends over there but I didn't start making friends until I had been there a few times.

First time I booked an apartment in central Costa Teguise through owners direct but now just book aparthotels through Alpharooms. I did lots of day trips through Last Minute Travel who have shops dotted around the resort and obviously really enjoyed it because I kept going back. Costa Teguise has good bus connections for travelling around the island and is very laid back but has the option of nightlife if you want it, there are only one or two bars or restaurants I have ever felt uncomfortable in on my own in Cosa Teguise, but that was because of the looks I got being on my own, not because I felt threatened, everyone is really friendly without being intrusive. On the other hand, when I visited Playa Blanca for the day, I felt like I had two heads while having a drink or lunch on my own and didn't find the resort nearly so friendly, it wasn't a horrible place at all but people seemed to stick to themselves and not even raise a smile at others.

Have a great time wherever you choose.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,498 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

I agree. As a first time lone visitor I would explore the organised trips option. Playa Blanca is the quietest resort. Lovely restaurants if you plan on eating out. I can't say I've ever experienced any unfriendliness there. Everyone has always had a smile and been pleasant and polite. There's often been single ladies eating in the restaurants when I've been and they've had the same service as everyone else. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment about spending time there on my own. If I didn't hate flying so much I would have done it by now!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

Having only stayed at Playa Blanca, I can only vouch for it. I have been there on my own and with other people and never found it to be unfriendly. Some of the waiters are a bit unfriendly in places but generally it's a nice resort for a single person. If you stay closer to the papagayo beach are then you will enjoy the peace and quiet at any of those beaches and they are all really nice.

Oh, and I have used the bus system a lot. It's not bad at all compared to some islands I've visited. But do some of the organised trips, most of those will show you pretty much the main things you probably want to see. Do the Short South Tour for example to see Timanfaya Park and a winery.

London, UK
Level Contributor
242 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

Leyland & Freddy, sounds like I have just been unlucky when visiting PB, but funnily enough I have on my list of things to do when over in a few weeks, I was going to go down on Market Day and have a mooch and some lunch to see if I like it more a few years later. :-)

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

Playa Blanca is a very friendly place, I chat to people and ex pats all the time whilst i'm there

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

Thanks for the input Sammy, Leyland and Freddy. I've looked at several apartments and hotels in PDC and think I will go with one there. I have looked into doing the Short South and camel tours.

10. Re: First trip to Lanzarote

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 05:16