We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

So its our first holiday to Lanzarote this Sunday for a week, very excited, we did out first Canary island Tenerife in January and really enjoyed it.

I have a couple of questions, this will be out first self catering holiday, we usually go all inclusive, I am staying at the Melia Sol Lanzarote in Matagorda and I think the nearest supermarket is a Spar, what are the (approx) prices for the following;

Eggs

Bread

Milk

Tomatoes

Bananas

Apples

Peppers

Onions

Butter

Crisps

Chocolate

Wine

Cava

Cider

Spirits

Pasta

Pasta sauce / passata

Secondly, I love snorkeling but didn't get to do any in Tenerife, where is the best place to do this in Lanzarote?

Thanks in advance :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

Stick to non UK brands and the prices are comparable or more often than not less than at home.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

english bread and butter quite expensive,salad stuff fruit wine and spirits cheap. the spar is a good place to shop also the hippadino,s. the shops on the complex,s will be more expensive

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

fresh milk is often off or going off when bought as it's shipped from mainland spain so i'd recommend uht milk instead.

loafs of bread aren't cheap but fresh baguette's in store are cheap.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

some of the prices around the local shops

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

Thanks for the info everyone!

Does anyone know where the best place to snorkel is?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

I believe the little beach (Playa Chica) in the old town PDC is excellent for snorkeling.

Around 6€ in a cab from Matagorda I would imagine, walkable also (around 1hr - 1hr 15/30 mins) with plenty of places to stop along the way

Happy Holidays

Danny

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

If you can find it buy Cravendale milk, that doesn't go off. Artemi caramel vodka straight from the fridge is lovelyand is cheap to buy. Have a great holiday!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

Lovely thanks everyone! Can not wait, only a few days now!

That caramel vodka sounds delicious too :)

London
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

Get used to the local way of shopping - ie. little and often. The local bread rolls are cheap and fresh, but are only good for toast or bread salad on day 2. Fruit goes off quickly as it is ripe and ready to eat now unlike tesco veg which has a half life of several decades...same with meat don't buy tons of raw meat in advance otherwise you will get a smelly surprise!!

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Lanzarote on Sunday!

We tend to go every few days. Don't bother buying English type bread, it's horrible. Like Accountant says buy fresh. It really needs eating same day. We buy a fair few, use one day and freeze the rest (presume you've got freezer, )same with meat. We always use long life milk, tastes much better than ours and much cheaper than cravendale.