We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

London, England
Level Contributor
109 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

We will be given only a narrow 2 week window for our Summer holiday – probably the first two weeks of September, just possibly the last two weeks of August. We should like to combine a nice hotel with sports facilities with sightseeing. We also would like to go where the maximum daytime temperature is in the upper 20’s as my wife suffers when it gets too hot. We’d also be concerned that the hotel food needs to be of a good quality and offer good choice.

We wondered whether the area around Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote might fit the bill ?

And specifically whether anyone knows well the Hotel Jameos Playa, whose website looks very appealing (I've read the many reviews on tripadvisor - definitely some inconsistencies) ?

Many thanks for your advice

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

Lanza will be hotter than you want I think

Plenty to see and do, also lots of cycle paths for your excersise, but I would think last two weeks in August it'll be in the 30's, having said that there is always a nice breeze so it doesn't actually fell as hot as it is.

If the heat is a major factor for you, have a look at Costa Teguise that is the windiest of the major resorts

Happy Holidays

Danny

Haría, Canarias...
Level Contributor
74 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

The Jameos Playa is a good hotel, and you'll enjoy staying there. Generally, temperature-wise, you'll be fine, although we can sometimes experience very hot weather in September, when the trade wind drops, but it's impossible to forecast if that's going to happen when you are here.

The location of the hotel is good - you're almost next to a huge beach, and you can walk all along the promenade and find plenty of bars and restaurants to enjoy.

I'd recommend hiring a car and spending time in other areas of the island as well. Rural Lanzarote is stunningly beautiful and you can get a real feel for Canarian life.

London
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

I'm not good with the heat....so bizarre why I love lanza! The difference is that it is generally very low humidity with a cooling breeze. First two weeks of Sept is often very nice - yes will be hot - the sun is very intense as you are much further south than the med so you burn in 30 mins in the midday sun.

London, England
Level Contributor
109 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

Thank you

MikeCJLanza - have you eaten at the hotel ? I see they do all-inclusive or half-board packages. The Tripadvisor reviews are quite mixed about the food and the dining experience

Again thanks

Michael

Haría, Canarias...
Level Contributor
74 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

Sorry, no we've never eaten there.

Carlisle
Level Contributor
230 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

For a sports hotel have a look at La Santa.

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

I obviously know more about nearby Fuerteventura than Lanzarote but we actually decided after visiting both to live in Fuerte and holiday in Lanza.

Temperature wise it's hotter but not nearly as hot as Malaga etc. The exception is when there's a calima but they don't generally last long. We get the constant trade winds here that make it feel cooler (but beware of burning).

You speak of hotel food. I recommend room only, B&B or S/C if possible. You'll find a great choice of dining possibilities outside the hotel to suit all tastes and budgets, Many hotel rooms have a kitchenette but that doesn't mean being tied to a stove - it just means flexibility. The AI offers in both islands are good if you've got loads of demanding kids on a limited budget or you want to drink yourself silly but otherwise it's best to eat out or use the supermarkets.

8. Re: Will Lanzarote fit the bill ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:16