We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Matagorda

Leeds
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back from Matagorda

First of all I'd like to thank everyone on this forum who gave me some useful advise prior to travelling, it was very helpful.

We travelled with Monarch and arrived on time at 6.30pm in Arracife. We quickly arrived by taxi to our duplex apartment that we'd hired at Las Marinas which is up the hill almost facing the Morromar Hotel. The taxi was €11 which seemed reasonable for the 3 of us with cases.

On arriving at the apartment which was actually a house, we were pleasantly surprised to find that it was superbly equipped with iron/ board, fridge / freezer bit. Microwave, full cooker with halogen hob, George Forman, sandwich toaster, quality crockery and cutlery, there was even a grater, corn on the cob holders and skewers! There were lots of cd's books, chess board, I could go on forever! It was pool side too and had a lovely patio area and garden as well as our own comfy sun loungers and there were other loungers for general use around the pool too.

There was an abundance of towels as well as beach towels, you really didn't need for anything.

The owner had also arranged for the cleaner to put a welcome pack together inc tea, coffee, sugar, and fresh milk which was a nice touch. It only cost us £250 for the week too.

Well we drooped our things off and headed for the Commercial centre in search of somewhere to eat. After a 10 min walk, we found a wealth of restaurants and were spoilt for choice.

We decided to try the Trattoria Timbayba and just ordered pizzas to share. The service was extremely good as were the pizzas and they were very reasonable too. I think the bill for garlic bread, 2 pizzas, 2 beers and a soft drink was around €25 so no complaints there and they were all cooked to perfection.

We went back to this restaurant several times during our stay and my favourite meal was the king prawns in some kind of sauce that escapes my mind but it was to die for! I think it was €13.95 (well worth it) I washed it all down with a half bottle of vina sol (€8.50)

We also had a lovely meal at O'Horreo on the parade at Los Jameos which was very good and more than reasonable for €12 for the 3 course set menu.

The only time we got "ripped off" during our stay was at the Mexican restaurant in the centre. The meal was excellent, we went especially as we'd seen so many recommendations on the forum but it was spoilt by been overcharged. When the bill arrived, the ink had run out on the paper so the girl had handwritten the total but no breakdown, it seemed a bit steep so I challenged her and she became rather agitated. She said the beer was €4.25 when we later found out it should have been €3.75 and she said that there was tax that equated to 10% when I knew it was only either 5 or sometimes 7% and when I scrutinised the menu later I noticed that it said tax included. Anyhow it was her loss as she missed out on a tip and we didn't go again. Oh there was one other time that I felt badly done to and that was when I nipped in the supermarket at the Morromar and as charged €4.60 for a smallish loaf of bread a pint of milk but the prices were scanned so what could I say??

We found breakfast to be good at The Brisa in the centre and the special was only €2.95! We Also had a good breakfast at the Aussie bar although there were lots of flies around but that wasn't their fault.

We liked the Sportsman bar, Anthony who runs it is a true gent and goes out of his way to make people feel welcome and puts regular quizzes on as well as showing all the footy matches.

The late late bar also became one of our haunts, I believe it's been recently taken over by 2 Irish lasses who although are a bit surly, serve you efficiently and the older girl sings on the karaoke and has a beautiful voice. They also had some good live music on in there too. The lager is €1.50 up until 9.30 then goes up a euro but we didn't mind when we were getting free live entertainment.

We also liked the Penny Lane bar and found Sue and her hubby to be very hospitable, they work there a couple of days a week and a few evenings too but don't own the bar.

We hired the 3 seater bikes with the hood that goes over the top. It was €10 for an hour and €15 for 2 hrs. It was fun peddling up and down the front with no fear of darting in an out of traffic with it been pedestrianised.

We walked in to PDC a couple of times and got a taxi back which was only around 6-7 euros depending how far we went in. One day we walked right up to the harbour, our feet were killing us! :-)

We went to Costa Tequise market on Sunday and that was the highlight of our holiday due to the guide Nic who's knowledge of the island was second to none. It was well worth the €4 return to just listen to him. The market was great too, not just the usual tat that you see at some. There were local crafts and live singers which gave it a lovely ambience. They also have some very tame farm animals to pet but please donate to the farmer who stands there all day as the money goes towards the upkeep of the goats e,t.c.

We booked through The Last Minute office with a guy called Mark at Barcarola. He was very helpful to us by telling us all about PDC and surrounding areas, not trying to promote his trips like a lot of them do.

Well I've gone on long enough now, bet you're all yawning lol.

We had a lovely time in Lanzarote and Although it was our first visit, I'm sure it won't be our last.

We found both the locals, staff and tourists to be very friendly and we found it to be a very safe place to visit.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Cheers.... Sue

Edited: 10 June 2014, 16:27
UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Matagorda

Hi Naburn..............I'll copy this link to the Trip Reports Sticky in the Lanzarote forum.

Thanks

Leeds
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Matagorda

Ok cheers :-)

Sue

3. Re: Just got back from Matagorda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 07:15