We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22euro for half board

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
22euro for half board

Hi ALL

Can you advise me if the offer from costa sal apartment where we are staying self catering of 22euro for half board option per adult per night is good. Half board includes full English in the morning and 3 course in the evening.

Thanks

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 22euro for half board

22 euros each? Seems a bit steep, the hotel I stayed in offered it for €12. For €22 you can get a great meal out instead.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 22euro for half board

I don't think €22 is particularly expensive, but I would have booked a hotel if I'd wanted HB. Personally I wouldn't choose it. I would eat out and possibly make the occasional meal in. Eating out in the Canaries is not overly expensive.

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 22euro for half board

It depends what you compare it with. You can get a cooked breakfast for €3 all over the place which can include a drink. That leaves €19 which can easily get a 3 course meal with a drink if you are sensible, but if you want to be ordering steaks etc then obviously that price will go up.

For me I wouldn't consider it, too many decent places to eat even on a budget.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 22euro for half board

Whether its expensive for half board or not, I wouldn't consider it. So many nice places you can eat in pdc, with a range of prices. Enjoy!

achill
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 22euro for half board

I wouldn't go half board too many nice places to eat and its great to support the locals.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 22euro for half board

I agree, don't go half board. The Costa Sal has it's own restaurant, the Zest, which I'm told is very good so you can have the a la carte if you fancy it but I'd suggest you also get out and sample the restaurants in Matagorda and beyond.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 11:10
Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 22euro for half board

All that flexibility you've got with the S/C will go out of the window.

How about trying a typical Spanish breakfast? You are after all in Spain! Or maybe you'll feel after a while that you need a break from eating so much and you'll just want a fresh-fruit smoothie. Bananas, papaya, melons etc are all grown on the island so you can't get fresher (I know because I have the first two in my garden!).

And however good a restaurant is, it can get boring to eat in the same place very night. Outside the hotel you can have typical Canarian cabrito frito (fried kid - 4-legged variety) and papas arrugada (salt-wrinkled local potatoes with sauces) one night, then an Indian curry, an Asiatic buffet, a Brazilian grill, a British roast, a pasta/pizza, a Mexican... something different each night.

Note: I imagine all those are available local to the hotel; they're all available in Corralejo just over the straits in Fuerteventura.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 22euro for half board

Thanks all. Eating out it is!!!!!! Are the restaurants in Matagorda where we are good. .....or do we need to venture out to PDC?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 22euro for half board

I hate recommending restaurants because different people have different ideas and tastes but I'd say they are generally good. But, depending on how many nights you have, you might venture into PdC as well to get some variety. You can also walk a short distance towards Los Pocillos where you'll find more in the Jameos Centre.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 22euro for half board

Thanks daveyanddavey.

is los pocillos far from the Matagorda centre?