We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town with no or little hills Help

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Town with no or little hills Help

we have been to Lanzarote many times but always stayed in PDC we have climbed cardiac hill

many times we are planning on returning to the island in december 2014

are there any towns that are sort of level ? the reason we ask is my good wife has had a stroke and has difficulty in walking up hills etc we thank you all in advance for any ideas etc

Morpeth, United...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

playa blanca and costa teguise both offer little or no hills.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

yes Playa Blanca is fairly flat

have a look around the resort on posts 3 and 4 on the trip reports on the top thread, if you decide it's for you come back to us and we can give you the locations that may best suit your wife

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

playa blanca sounds like a plan any info is more than welcome

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

Playa Blanca has a coastline which runs for about six miles with a promenade, it has a town with shops and restaurants along the promenade at the front by a harbour. The harbour has ferries which run to Fuerteventura and people do day trips. The town has a very small beach but a much bigger one at Dorada beach, 10 minutes from the town. Above the beach is probably one of the best hotels in Lanzarote the Princesa Yaiza but with a price attached. Ten minutes further on and you come to a marina with nice chillax bars and restaurants around it, in general apart from a couple they tend to be a bit dearer than the harbour ones. Because I don't drive abroad, I find that the marina suits me better but is 20 mins stroll to the town and 10 mins to the beach which for me is ok.

for me beyond the Marina becomes too far as I like my beach within 10 mins walk but there are natural beaches at the extreme end over rough terrain to get to them.

Now going back to the town and harbour area 15 mins walk will get you to the Flamingo Beach but it doesn't have any sunbeds on it (for nine months due to a council dispute). Going beyond Flamingo Beach, is the Timanfaya Palace and for me that would be the furthest I would go without a car several hotels beyond but no beaches as such.

So firstly what sort of accommodation would you require? Apartments S/C, Hotel HB AI or a Villa and would you be using a car, walking, or would you stay in your accommodation or venture out to beaches etc

As your needs might not be the same.

Playa Blanca is not big on entertainment, more the one man and a guitar, singers and Karaoke but most are quiet restaurants for a nice meal

The no 30 bus run every half hour from on end of the town to the other which also helps to get around

Edited: 23 August 2014, 18:28
aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

Reading your post, I'm not totally convinced PB or CT would meet your needs. They are reasonably flat overall but there are quite a few hilly areas with which your wife might struggle.

Another idea would be to consider some of the villages - Arrieta, Punta Mujeres (very close to Arrieta) and Famara are fairly flat, although may be too quiet for you.

For flat and offering much to do, my main recommendation would be to stay in Arrecife along Av Fred Olsen beside Playa Reducto. There's a nice flat prom which goes for miles in each direction and plenty of shops in Arrecife town centre close by (before you reach the hills up to the inner ring road). Hotels opposite Playa Reducto include the Gran and Lancelot. You're also only a few hundred yards from the bus interchange which can take you directly to PB and CT for days out.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

yes awaiting the op to come back to us fuertefan, as the only real hill of any significance is the high st which can be avoided, depending where they stay and what they want to do, the high st rises and drops but the promenade which runs parallel remains fairly flat ,slight undulation but fine and I will point that out if the op remains interested.

If it's just a hotel, beach scene and restos I feel the marina may be ok, or Princesa Yaiza, hesparia near both town beach and marina

…imageshack.com/img905/7567/LOsZ4j.jpg

Edited: 24 August 2014, 10:50
aberdeen
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

Cheers DB - to clarify, the OP should definitely seriously consider PB. I was thinking about slopes such as the one up between the Yaiza and Hesperia when returning from Playa Dorada, the slope / steps up from the marina to the Las Coloradas part of the prom and even the prom itself from your favourite accommodation up to Playa Dorada. I reckon these can be limiting for some and should be carefully taken into account for someone who has had a stroke and suffers impaired mobility. It depends on the severity of that, of course.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

yes agreed, I wouldn't put the op in a position that they would be uncomfortable with but really need to know what the op would want to do on holiday before making any suggestions and pointing out any difficult areas they may encounter if they should decide its a consideration for them

Edited: 24 August 2014, 11:14
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

thank all for the help and advice

we are looking for a hotel that has some nice night time entertainment in the past we have always been all inc

but this time we fancy trying s/c

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Town with no or little hills Help

Ok my wife and I are happy with the Pueblo Marinero in the marina area, it has a key card gate on to the promenade and has one lift to get you to the higher floor (not used much), I try to explain the place in this link

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=50

The marina is just 10 mins slow stroll for us to Dorada Beach, if that's what you normally do and you can see the promenade from this walk

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10

The beach has steps and walking ramps down but only you can decide if your wife can manage it

…imageshack.com/img742/7568/yPetsQ.jpg

The undulation of the prom can been seen from this picture, but the prom is reasonable flat from the beach in the pic to the town beyond, which is 20 minute slow stroll to the town from the marina

…imageshack.com/img540/7386/xnE1vQ.jpg

So this would be the nearest S/C to the beach from this side of town, on the otherside of town you have Puerto Chico's on the prom which I think is mentioned on the walk and about 15 mins slow stroll you come to Flamingo Beach which I can go into more detail if you prefer that end,.Also in town there are more places to stay but the beaches start to go further away (apart from the small town beach), Las Brisas is one. If you follow the walk above, as you get passed the Flamingo beach, the facilities start to get less.

Also I mentioned not going passed the marina and Fuertefan also mentioned ramps and stairs at the other end of the marina which you can probably see in this walk

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11

now in this walk Fuertefan mentions the walk up to the high st from the beach which you wouldn't need to do but this will give you an idea of the walk and incline

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13

Finally have a look at the trip reports in posts 3 and 4 in this thread just to give you further looks around the place where i walk up and down most places lol

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187477-i240-k72…

Come back if you have any thoughts on the places and whether you can manage more, we will try and give you the advice

Edited: 24 August 2014, 15:31
Get answers to your questions about Lanzarote