We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourists please be aware

Costa Teguise, Spain
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
tourists please be aware

There is a man collcting money from unsuspecting tourists in puerto del carmen and playa blanca, he carries around two small puppies and is claiming to be collecting on behalf of animal charities of lanzarote, this man is a con artist who has no ties to any charities, he has convictions in gran canaria of animal abuse and obtaining monies by decption.

Please do not give this man any money, the police are aware of him but as yet no action has been taken, the only way to stop him is not to give him anything!

He is about 50, small build and wears a t shirt with animal rescue on it, a baseball cap and glasses, when confronted he runs off and changes his t shirtand apparently hides the puppies in a car, please spread the word about this man and if you see him report him to the police.

Costa Teguise, Spain
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourists please be aware

He is called fernando cabrera

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,165 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourists please be aware

I've been reading all about him on FB. It seems the police don't seem to be interested :(. I really hope I don't see him when I'm there - grrrrr!

Costa Teguise, Spain
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourists please be aware

Its quite worrying that the police are aware but don't seem to be acting on it, that's why I wanted tourists to be aware and just not be sucked in to giving him anything, hopefully shutting him down!

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tourists please be aware

Thanks for the info Jude. I saw the post on FB too. I hope folks heading over there soon read this and are aware of him. I feel sorry for the puppies he has too.....

scotland
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourists please be aware

Thank you for the info.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
349 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tourists please be aware

Hiya have to say we fell for it on our holiday last week I hope the puppy's are being lookrd after we only gave him a couple of euros hate to think the money is going into his pocket one bitten teice as shy now tho x x

7. Re: tourists please be aware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 12:13
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,165 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tourists please be aware

He's a con artist Wendy. He's conning people into parting with money by pretending to be collecting for an animal charity when he's pocketing it himself. Sara have reported him and said that on he does not work for them, neither is he collecting from them. Given his record on GC it's alarming that the police don't do more. I wonder what he'll do with those poor puppies when they get a bit too big to be carrying around, helping to tug at people's heart strings!

Costa Teguise, Spain
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tourists please be aware

Did you read the original post wendy? He is not homeless and is apparently living in an apt complex in playa blanca,and has a car, the homeless of lanzarote can access a charity called calor cafe in arrecife and do not need to beg on the streets! This man is a criminal pue and simple, you can google his name alongside sara the true animal charity and you will see he has a history of this sort of fraud.they have published a warning on their own website

Edited: 31 August 2014, 22:01
Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tourists please be aware

Many thanks for your post jude, had he still been around in October it is more than likely we would have "donated", having just recently lost our last cat we are probably more open than usual to be scammed. Hopefully before then the police will intervene, just hope the puppies don`t suffer in the meantime.

LaMaP.