We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are mosquitos a problem in Callao Salvaje?

manchester
1 post
Save Topic
Are mosquitos a problem in Callao Salvaje?

My wife and I are visiting Callao Salvaje for the first time next week (June 8 - 16) and she reacts very badly to mosquito bites. She has tried all the popular repellants but still gets bitten in most places that we travel to in Europe. Are mosquitos a problem at this time of year in this area?

We shall be self catering so any suggestions about places to dine would be appreciated.

Is there any evening entertainment in the area?

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,366 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are mosquitos a problem in Callao Salvaje?

Yes there are quite a lot of mosquitos in Callao Salaje it's because it's surrounded by banana plantations and also close to the sea. However you should only be bothered at night. Why not go to the ferreteria and buy a metre of mosquito netting and put it up with some drawing pins. Should work on a temporary basis.

There are not too many places down there that I would make a special trip to but the Delfin is very good - a bit hard to find but if you ask a local they will direct you. Also an excellent Italian ice cream parlour.

As far as entertainment goes there are a couple of bars and they are bound to have something going on.

It is a quiet area and quite a long way from where all the tourists are.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are mosquitos a problem in Callao Salvaje?

We spent a week there in mid May as first-timers although we do intend returning. There are a few restaurants to choose from and we only had a bad experience once at la Romantica (it was not the standard of food but rather the standard of service). We did not find the Delfin (as recomended by Aquilas) but have heard it's well worth the visit. I would also recommend the Spanish style restaurant (can't remember the name) which can be found up on the main road (if you travel back up to the roundabout - go left - and it's about 200 metres on the right hand side. The shoulder of lamb is to die for and the waiter is very charming and appears to do everything. We did not find much in the way of entertainment but found Georges Bar in the the small covered alleyway of bars to be very welcoming.

3. Re: Are mosquitos a problem in Callao Salvaje?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 12:18