We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

We are visiting Tenerife for the first time in March, on a bit of an impulse - we saw the flights yesterday for only £88 return and couldn't resist! But now we need to find a hotel, and it's proving more difficult that we thought. I've spent all day online and every one I like the look of seems to have bad reviews. We went to Alicante in 2007 and Menorca last year and had an awful experience both times despite researching our hotels carefully. So we're very keen to get it right this time, or we may never want to go on holiday again! At the moment, the two hotels I've narrowed it down to are the Paradise Park which is in Los Cristianos, and the Bahia Principe Costa Adeje which is in the middle of nowhere apparently! So any input on either of these would be most appreciated.

My in-laws have been visiting Tenerife every year since the 80's, and always stay at the Paradise Park. They think it's wonderful, but the reviews are a bit mixed - in fact, some are downright awful. I'd love to just take my in-laws word for how good it is, but they've never been anywhere else so they don't have anything to compare it to, and their idea of 'wonderful' can be very different to ours! From the reviews I've read, the overall experience seems to depend heavily on the room type you choose. They range from some very basic standard rooms in the basement which sound awful, to the executive suites on the top floor which are apparently beautiful. If we were to stay there, we would book one of the suites, which would solve that problem. But the reviews of the food are also very mixed, some saying it's terrible and others saying it's wonderful - very confusing! The other thing is, the hotel looks slightly like a multi-storey carpark to me. I prefer the sprawling kind of hotel with lots of lush gardens and open space to wander through, whereas this place looks more compact and is in a very built-up area. However, apart from the beautiful suite, the hotel has another very good thing going for it: an adults-only bar and pool area on the roof. From the limited information on the hotel's website and reading reviews, I gather it has a plunge pool, jacuzzi and luxury sun loungers instead of the usual hard plastic type (some of them under gazebos surrounded by curtains if you want some privacy or shade) and beautiful views over the bay. I believe there is also a complex next door which hotel guests can use for free. Again it is adults-only with a bar, pool, jacuzzi and plenty of quality sun loungers where you can spend the day undisturbed by entertainers or noisy neighbours. We intend to spend our days relaxing with a good book, so these peaceful areas are very appealing.

Our other choice is the beautiful Bahia Principe Costa Adeje hotel near Playa Paraiso. To stay here on an All Inclusive basis is the same price as staying in one of the Paradise Park suites on Half Board. I've never been keen on the idea of AI in the past, as I always imagine people abusing the free drink and jostling for space at meal times. Also, we are both tee-total so it's never seemed particularly good value. But I have to admit it seems a bit crazy to turn it down when it's the same price as HB. It would be an easy choice if the hotel was lower quality or had bad reviews, but it looks wonderful. It has beautiful grounds, several pools, numerous restaurants, beautiful sea views and very good reviews. But a couple of things concern me. The first is the isolation - it is quite far from anything, so our usual stroll into town for a coffee and a spot of people watching would be impossible. Another is the sunlounger situation - I have no desire to join the towel brigade and this seems to be rife here. From what I've read, the loungers seem to be packed in like sardines, so even if you do get up at 7am to claim some, you will be elbow-to-elbow with strangers all day and have no space or privacy. Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem in March as it's not peak season, but it's quite off putting. The other thing is the standard of guests. I'm no snob but several people have commented that it has started to attract the lower end of the market who are spoiling the place for everyone else by drinking too much, shouting and generally treating the place like Blackpool with sun, which is the very reason we've never done AI.

So our options are to stay in a standard room at the Bahia Principe, with unlimited food and drink, good facilities, beautiful grounds and lots of open space, but risk the dreaded sunlounger situation and the louts, and being stuck in the middle of nowhere for a week. Or to stay in a large luxury suite at the Paradise Park, which has plenty of peaceful adults-only areas and is close to town, but has less appealing grounds, mixed reviews and means extra costs for food and drink (albeit only soft drinks).

It's so confusing as we've never been to Tenerife before, so have no idea about the different areas or the hotels themselves. I'm hoping some Tenerife veterans can provide some clarity and save us from another wasted holiday! Many thanks in advance, and apologies for the incredibly long post this has become :-)

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Hi Logans

Welcome to the TA forum. As you have never been before I can see your dilemma and personally I would discount both of your options for the reasons you have given. Playa Paraiso is isolated, you are stuck on the complex unless you hire a car and AI food is not my thing with so many wonderful restaurants on the island. The Paradise Park is a nice hotel but there are lots better even in Los Cristianos. I would choose the Adeje Gran over the Paradise. However my choice would be to stay in one of the hotels further along the coast in PdlA, The Mare Nostrum has several beautiful hotels that I am sure you would like, there is the Vulcano one road back from the beach, the La Siesta at the edge of the entertainment area or the very up market Villa Cortes to name just a few.

You also have the option of staying self catering in somewhere like the Parque Santiago complexes (there are 5 of them) but wherever you choose I would only go B&B unless of course you drink large quantities and this will offset the AI costs.

Have a look at our FAQ sticky at the beginning of the forum specifically items 5 and 6 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k22…

I can almost hear the sigh from the in-laws as I suggest PdlA but it is a very upmarket area I am directing you to and with lots of greenery around and great designer shopping. I was about to give you a link to the Eurosol website to check their maps but there seems to be a virus warning on the site so if you PM me your home email address I will send you a map so you can check locations.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

The hotel vulcano is a lovely hotel, but will not be cheap, you will really like the hotel,we would go back tomorrow.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

I wouldn't stay in any of the two you mentioned, only because I like to be near the beach and 'in the centre of things'. If you are looking for luxury stay at Sir Anthony or the Villa Cortes, but you will pay a premium price for it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Hi

I'm sorry but i can't help you on the 2 hotels that i have mentioned,

but i do agree with all that aquilas has said above.

If you have a look at this thread it may help you to see, the area that aquilas has mentioned.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k24…

then if you read this thread, the area that 123peekaboo mentions is the one, where the vulcano/bitacorra/siesta/med palace hotels are all located at.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k24…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Hi there the Logans

We stayed in the H10 Conquistador in april 2008, the reviews for this hotel were very mixed but we had a fantastic time beautifull pool area close to all amenities, loved the food, it's in the old part of pdla nice and quiet at night but a stones throw away from everything i highly reccomend , we fly out this fri 16th jan going to parque santiago 3 never stayed here before but have heard mostly only good reports. I hope you find somewhere nice and have a great holiday (a fellow scot)

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Thank you for all the replies, they are very helpful. I think we have now discounted the BPCA after looking at more photos of the hotel - it is very obvious that the sunbeds are crammed in like sardines in all of them, and coupled with the location issue, it's not for us.

We're still interested in the Paradise Park, mainly because of the quality of the suites and the adults-only areas, plus if the in-laws book it in their name they get a loyalty discount and late check-out until 4pm (flight is later on). We did look at going B&B as we're not too keen on the buffet style dinner, but amazingly it was only 2 euro per night cheaper! Apparently you can swap dinner for lunch, which can be taken at the terrace restaurant at the new complex next door, so we'd probably take this option and eat out for dinner. The location doesn't bother us too much as we like to walk, and would rather be a bit away from the main areas anyway. It is primarly just a relaxing break, we don't plan to be going to be doing much shopping or going out to bars at night. But we liked the idea of Los Cristianos because we can go down to the marina and pick up boat trips to La Gomera and whale watching etc. We prefer to book these things locally because a) it's cheaper, and b) we don't like to have our holiday planned out before we get there.

I will do another search based on the hotels suggested (in LC and in PDLA) and check out our other options - unfortunately some did not seem to have availability on our dates but I'll go direct to the hotel websites and try there.

Thanks again!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Hi

When pricing up your hotel, you can also book with other companies.

I start here.

http://www.hotelscomparison.com/

and then i try

www.expedia.co.uk (0201HOTEL10 is a discount code which will give you 10% of)

www.travelrepublic.co.uk

All are worth checking, good luck in deciding

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

I have looked at some of the hotels suggested but unfortunately they are out of our price range, which is a shame as some of them look really lovely. For the week in a Paradise Park executive suite half board, we will pay £760 (less a 5% discount on our final bill). The Arona Gran would be £1,280 for a standard room, and The Volcano and H10 both come out at around £1,100 for the standard rooms. By the time we have factored in the flights we've booked and transfers or car hire, that would bring the total cost to around £1,500 plus food, drink and spending money, which I really can't justify after spending just £88 each on flights!

I think we were definitely unprepared for the cost of hotels - we thought Tenerife was still one of the cheaper destinations, so when we saw the great deal on flights we just booked them. But at £1,500 plus spending money, we could have waited a couple of weeks and went to Mexico in 5 star all inclusive hotel - it is quite shocking how expensive Europe as a whole has become. The whole reason we decided to go abroad again was the cost of hotels in this country when we looked at a UK break. I guess we'll live and learn - sometimes cheap flights don't mean cheap holiday!

I think we'll go ahead and book the Paradise Park - seeing the prices of the other hotels that are available, it seems good value for money. The executive suites look lovely and the adults-only areas and late checkout are a bonus. And I suppose it's better the devil you know - I guess I just need to come to terms with the fact I'm finally turning into my mother in law!!!

Thanks again for everyone’s help – and I look forward to visiting beautiful Tenerife!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Hi Logan

The Paradise Park is not that bad....we stayed there year 2004 and the reason why I did'nt answer your post....I'm a bit out of date......

But we loved it there in a standard room 332 nice view overlooking the pool.....it could have done with a little bit of refurb but every thing worked and it was clean....the food was some of the best I have eaten just fab....The entertainment was also very very good....the only reason we don't go back is because we have found some where else in another part of the island the south west that we like better.......

Oh and another thing with all the rain they have had just lately......part of the foya in reception is all open to the "Gods" and it all becomes flooded and there are towels every where to contain it....but who cares lol it's warm......the staff were all great... a lovely atmosphere an OK hotel..

Sylla

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel confusion for Tenerife first-timers!

Thanks Sylla - hopefully we won't have too much rain then! That's good to hear about the food. The in-laws always say the food is excellent. They also say the breakfast choice is huge, again with the usual buffet style items plus eggs cooked to order, whereas some of the reviews say the choice isn't that great. It always makes me chuckle when I read people making comments like that - I have toast every single day at home, so for me to have a whole buffet full of items is a huge luxury (and not having to cook - bliss!). Definitely have to wonder what some of these people eat at home!