We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenerife or Gran Canaria

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Hubby is 50 in October (late October) and we would like to visit the Canary Islands for about 10 days at this time We have already been to Lanzarote and was wondering where would be better to go Tenerife or Gran Canaria. We are looking for 4/5* accommodation pref B&B, close to a nice beach, with nice places to eat, but nothing too noisy (do not want to be surrounded by youngsters and clubs).

We enjoy swimming, and nice meals out, with perhaps some light entertainment. We would consider half board but ideally like to try local places.

I would be grateful for any feedback, we live in Essex and ideally would travel from stansted or gatwick.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Hi Squirrel

Firstly if you want me to recommend a Hotel this is mine....see link below for reviews...I hav'nt stayed in a better one....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1058792-d248…

It is in a quiet resort though on the south west coast of Tenerife....I do have a lot of photos of it on my profile page....apart from that go to the sticky at the top of the page for info about the other parts of the Island.....

Sylla

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

I haven't stayed at the hotel myself that Sylla is recommending, but I have heard good things about it too. The area is very nice too. Nice walks, good restaurants etc.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Hi Squirrelkins,

Here's the link which Sylla mentioned

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k2605…

It's the FAQs at the top of the forum list for Tenerife.

It gives you lots of information about Tenerife, including a section which describes the various areas as tourists see them - not as the tour operators describe them.

There are many nice 4/5* hotels in the Costa Adeje area(20 minutes from airport) and you are near to lots of restaurants and entertainment of all sorts.

Once you have had a chance to look through the info come back if you have any more questions.

Nelly

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Hi Squirrelkins, Tenerife is a lovely island and I have been many times. We did go to Gran Canaria once, staying in one of the resorts in the south of the island, but we found it baron, without character and loud. We wont go again, and have returned to Puerto de la Cruz in the north. Puerto is the traditional resort, with many old shady squares to sit and watch the world go by. There are some lovely shops and restaurents. There is a good range of hotels some on the sea front, other further back in their own gardens over looking the coast and bay. Puerto has a black volcanic beach, and an award winning sea water lido, but without the water parks etc, although there is the world famous Loro Parque. My parents loved it as do I. However as you have already seen on this forum, other members have similar views on their own favorite spot, so when you do gone take the time to visit other places on the island, as I am sure you will want to return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Yes, I've been to Gran Canaria too and much preferred Tenerife as there's far more to see and do.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11,023 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

can i just ask are you going to tenerife, gran canaria or egypt?

as you say your going to egypt

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

we were looking at Egypt initially but husband has decided he would now prefer Canary Islands, as there was really nothing that appealed to him about Egypt, we were looking initially for the weather in October, but have been informed that October will be fine for the Canary Islands.

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
413 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Hubby and I are both now in our fifties, and we go to Tenerife at least once, sometimes twice a year. Our favourite hotel is the Vulcano in Playa de las Americas. Caters mainly for adults, food excellent. Also it is very close to the beach and some excellent restaurants and shops.

For many years we went to Gran Canaria, but of late we have found Tenerife better and easier. The journey to and from the airport is quicker, as it is closer, and the shops seem to be more up market than Gran Canaria.

I really don't think you will be disappointed in Tenerife.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Hi Squirrelkins

I thought I had already answered this post but I'm guessing you have something else on the forum so apologies if this reply is a bit late.

If you do decide that Tenerife is for you, then have a look at these links, they will give you an idea of the various areas where you might like to stay and also information of lots of things you can do and see as the island has things that suit all tastes.

Enjoy

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187479-c54603/Tene…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187479-c72672/Tene…

Canvey, Essex
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tenerife or Gran Canaria

Tenerife is great :) Check out my review for 'Pueblo Torviscas Apartments. Can also recommend the 'Jacaranda Hotel' which is lovely.

Sarah