We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

A North East based travel agent has ceased trading. Freedom Direct Holidays Ltd., of Park Road, South Gosforth, Newcastle has informed ABTA it will no longer be open for business.

The following information has been taken from their website:

-----------------------------------------

Unfortunately, Freedom Direct Holidays Ltd has today ceased trading (as of 16 April 2009).

Passengers who have booked a holiday with Freedom Direct Holidays Ltd are fully financially protected. Freedom Direct Ltd operated as a full member of ABTA (F5038) and ATOL 9740.

All customers who have booked a package holiday with Freedom Direct Holidays Ltd are bonded under ATOL number 9740, and are advised to contact the CAA on the following number 0207 453 6350.

All customers who have booked a flight, accommodation or a package holiday with any ATOL bonded company, with an ATOL number other than 9740, are advised to contact ABTA on 01243 621500.

Freedom Direct Holidays traded under the following online brands:

Freedomdirect.co.uk

Freedom-direct.co.uk

Snowdeals.co.uk

Holidaysyoulike.co.uk

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers and to thank the many people who have booked holidays with us over the last 12 years.

Yours sincerely

Martin Jones

CEO

Freedom Direct Holidays Ltd

-----------------------------------------

I sincerely hope none of you are affected by this.

Regards,

Deaconblue

west midlands
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

can anyone advise me. I booked a hol wiv freedom direct last weekend the 12th April and there was no mention on the web site that the company was in trouble, it was booked with a credit card, and was paid in full £1500. I have an ATOL reciept for Avro flights but that is it. I have since heard that freedom direct was not ATOL protected from the end of march tho an am not sure where I stand in regards of a refund there is only advice for people who booked befor end of march. Any advice would be much appreciated

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

You'll need to contact your credit card to claim it back off them as ATOL won't get involved if they aren't bonded. The only problem is with your flights, if you're looking to cancel them because you have no accommodation then normal booking fees would apply.

If you still want the flights you'll need to pay all over again for the accommodation and wait for the refund from your credit card.

Hope that helps.

west midlands
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

thanks, thats been a great help. Have been to the bank today to ge advice and they were aware of the problems with freedom direct, and were really helpful. They also advised me to claim refund from credit card and told me how to go about this. I have sent off for a refund so am feeling more hopeful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

Good luck. I gather there's quite a lot of people affected by this.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

I booked flights with Jet2 through them in January. I have contacted Jet2 on Saturday and they will honour the flights.

6. Re: UK Travel Agent goes bust!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 13:18