We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canarian Food Fair

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,543 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Canarian Food Fair

Each year the Cultural Centre in Los Cris is converted into a traditional market. Numerous craftsmen from all of the islands partcipate with their agricultural homemade products. This will be happening again over the forthcoming weekend:

Saturday 25th 1.00 Asociacion Cultural Amigos de Punta Rasca & 18.30 Escuela Municipal de Floklore de Arona.

Sunday 26th 1.00 Asociacion Cultural Igara & 18.30 Agrupacion Folklorica Verodal.

Some of the things you can sample are :

Wines from the fruity whites from the Abona region and El Hierro to the elegant reds of Tacorante or La Palma.

Cheeses are represented by homemade and industrial producers from all the islands, almost exclusively made with goats milk. These vary from soft, semi-cured, cured, lightly smoked or spicy.

Gofio is the basic food of the ancient inhabitants of the Canaries and today is highly valued for its rich nutrional value.

Pastries should not be missed such as the Almendrados from La Palma, Quesadillas from El Hierro, Galletas from La Gomera and Bizcochos from Gran Canaria.

Oh and don't forget to try the rich honeys and jams.

The main aim of the fair is to promote the products of our region and conserve our gastronomic heritage.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Gofio ...basic food of the Guanches ....

In the house where I lived/worked in Las Palmas the cook/maid Benita, all I ever saw her eat was gofio, she was a very large strong lady and she lived well into her 90's spending her last years in her country home, with her sister Jesus, on the mountain side near the beautiful town of Teror....

In the Hotel Playa la Arena they always have a bowel of Gofio on the breakfast buffet, I always sprinkle some on my yogurt and muesli....!

S

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Yep, food of the Guanches...still used everywhere - the diet hasn't changed much in 500 years!

They use it in the hills a lot to 'bulk' up the lads so that they're strong for heavy agricultural work. The Lucha Canario wrestlers also include it in their diet. My wife puts a handful in the flour when she's making bread...and hopes she isn't going to end up looking like a Canarian wrestler!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Oooooooowow !!!! Gusto ! strong stuff then ? I'll remember that next time at brekky in Playa la Arena...might put an extra spoonful lol !

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canarian Food Fair

And here is a little more info on Gofio....

http://www.fuerteventura.uk.com/gofio.html

S

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Oh fiddle,

Just a little too early for us as we land mid afternoon Sunday - we might make the Folklore Group, but I guess most of the food will be gone by 6.30 on the Sunday!

Nelly

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Hello, what a shame we will miss such an interesting event. Food fairs where you can browse and sample various foods and drinks are such a pleasant way to experience something new.

We will be coming for our first visit to Tenerife, Los Americas area, on May 5th for a week. When we travel we always try to experience the taste of the place. Eat and drink what the people have to offer. Sometimes its not so good, and sometimes it's a completely new heaven; you don't know unless you try.

Now, having said all of that, where can we find such an assortment of Canarian(?) foods and drinks to try. Markets, food stands and locals restaurants would all be great to try. We can figure out the bus service so can get around.

I'm new to this forum and this service, so there may be a list or another thread around, that deals with local food, but have not come across it yet.

thanks for any help. we are salivating already!

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Hi Winky01

Head to the San Telmo area of neighbouring Los Cristianos to try some local tapas dishes like churros de pescado (small goujons of fish usually in a herby batter), Pimientos de padron (peppers lightly fried and salted, 1 in 10 can have a kick like a mule), chiperones (small fried squid - delish')and of course the Canarian speciality of papas arrugadas con mojo (small, salty, wrinkled potatoes with spicy sauces).

Also if you get a chance, try some of the island's excellent, award winning goat's cheese - the ones from Arico and Benijos are the best.

Gravenhurst, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canarian Food Fair

Thanks for the advice, we wil surely try it and let you know how it was.

9. Re: Canarian Food Fair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 21:22