We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Teide about to erupt.

Northampton
4 posts
Save Topic
Mount Teide about to erupt.

Just thought I would post this item about Mount Teide that I read about in todays national newspaper to see if any of you Destination Experts had heard about the possible eruption of the above said vulcano. According to the paper there has been some sort of activity up there and they are advising against tourists booking a holiday. Its last eruption was in 1909, and according to experts it does this every 100 years making it due this year!

I am somewhat taking this with a pinch of salt but as my family and I are due out on holiday at the end of July for 2 weeks to the Costa Los Gigantes Hotel I really don't want it spoiling by the vulcano erupting. lol.

Loopy

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

I would not be too concerned about any activity at Teide unless it is increasing seismic activity (on a daily basis). Records show though that the last event was from the Chinyero vent on the northwestern flank, so that could mean the local areas of Santiago del Teide and down to the coast at Los Gigantes could be at risk, but this is only if there is a pyroclastic flow type eruption.

I would however be more inclined to stay away from La Palma. Of all of the islands, it is the one most likely to have an event. Geologists predict that at some point in near future a large unstable portion of the island will slip into the sea and create a huge tidal wave which will cross the atlantic and flatten Florida.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

Oh! Trotters ...!!! credit crunch and Eruptions....and tidal waves...well I'm off to a wedding at the weekend ...might be my last chance to celebrate lol !

S

england
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

architecturally.it would certainly improve PDLA,then the gobierno could start from scratch and maybe get it right second time round. ;-)

Denbigh, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

OMG!

it's a known fact to all our friends and family, that when we go on holiday, something untoward usually happens,usually being lost luggage, caught in strikes, family illness, being in america when twin towers got hit and couldn't get home in another family crises,etc., but a vulcano erupting would certainly beat the lot! going end of june and staying in los gigantes, so beware of all you who are going the same time!!!!!! will it stop me going? no chance!

lyn

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

No, can't say that I've heard anything and my mum and dad are in Los Gigantes as we speak.

I'd agree, it's probably La Palma that's more of a worry.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

Hi Loopy would you like to tell us where you read this please as I can't find anything on any of the online newspapers.

Thanks

Nelly

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

This is all a result of an argument between scientists and politicians on the island. Scientists are saying that it is likely that there will be future volcanic activity from Teide but nobody said anything has happened or is imminent. It was in response to a question posed about the likelihood of future activity to which the answer was yes, which we all knew anyway.

When you know that the answer came from a scientist who's lobbying to have a volcanic research centre set up on Tenerife you begin to understand the reasons for the timing of the answer.

It's now erupted (sorry about the pun!) into a political argument with the scientist in question being accused of scaremongering - with grounds it would seem.

Of course, The Sun has never let facts get in the way of a good headline.

tenerife
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

If an eruption happens in Tenerife,the most unlikely

is that will be in Mount Teide.Since the island was

conquered in the XV century,there has been 4 eruptions,1704/05,1706,1798 and 1909 the last,none of

them in mount teide.Except the first,the other 3 ha

ppened in the west mountain range of the island,above

santiago del Teide.These were "easy" euruptions like

Hawaii affecting only few miles away from the volcano

If an eruption happens in the future,it will be like

this.An explosive eruption is very unlikely.So,if you

travel to tenerife,don´t worry.If you drive up from

santiago del Teide you will see the petrified lava

from last eruption

tenerife
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

In these moments there are NO indications for an erup

tion.several days ago a scientist from madrid made an

irresponsible statements igniting this issue,but it

was inmediatly dissmissed by Tenerife´s scientists.

Obviously,the case here is that most people associate

an eruption with Mount teide

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Teide about to erupt.

Well there we go - and Loopy said it was a newspaper, which reported it but in fact it seems it was the Sun!

N