We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

tenerife
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
"sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

The report issued yesterday by the Sun is absolute ru

bbish.An eruption in Mount Teide is highly unlikely.

You must think that Tenerife welcome 1.5 million Bri

tons every year,so is very easy for a competitor to

launch a campaign saying that Teide is going to have

a devastating eruption.All eruptions we had in the

past were "soft" like Hawaii or la reunion.There is

no base to say that the next wioll be devastating.And

currently there are no indications of a possible erup

tion

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

Well said.

Incidentally, you could remove the word 'eruption' from the title of your post and the statement would work equally well :)

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

Lol Gusto!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,398 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

Thanks for the info LosR - been reading about it in today's Canarian Weekly www.canarianweekly.com/localNews2417.html

Good answer Gusto - as they used to say in "All Quiet on the Preston Front" Made me larf.

bp auckland
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

I can remember reading in a british paper about 5 year ago that Teide was ready to let go at any minute.

Something like half the mountain falling into the sea and the ensuing tsunami washing all the other canaries into oblivion.

Pinch of salt anyone ??.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

I thought that was La Palma they were referring to, if it was to go up. That's what I read.

Well, I assume all of you living there haven't seen a plume of smoke and parents haven't mentioned it, so as usual the Sun have got it wrong. lol

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

Yes it is La Palma. If and when there is an eruption half the island will slide into the sea causing a mega tsunami. Not only will it swamp the ajoining islands it will race across the Atlantic at the speed of sound(apparently) and will also swamp the east coast of America. No pinch of salt, it's a fact. Scientists say it will happen, they just don't know when. I wouldn't let spoil your jollies though!

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

I saw the documentary a few years ago regarding the 'possible' collapse of La Palma into the sea after an eruption. As with most of these type of programmes, there were a lot of if's and but's and I found it to be rather sensationalist and the sort of thing that tabloids love to pounce on. I don't think at any time during the programme did they say it was 'definitely' going to happen and had they done so, I for one would have been very sceptical. The same as I am with this ridiculous article in 'The Sun' regarding Teide erupting. I think i'll file this under 'basura' with all of the other scare stories the media like to try and frighten everyone with from time to time.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

I'm with you Cyberhiker. In all the information I've read about La Palma, it's all been speculation with various scientists disagreeing about what might happen. The most sensational (i.e. worst case scenario) is always going to grab the headlines. I've seen reports saying that even if it did collapse into the sea, it might be over hundreds of thousands of years - a bit at a time; so I aint going to lose any sleep over it.

Didn't the 'Sun' say that holidaymakers were being warned. I'd be interested to hear if anyone who uses this forum has actually been warned by their travel company. I reckon I already know the answer.

I've just told my Canarian neighbours about the Sun's reports about the possibility of an eruption and they were gobsmacked; they thought it was hilarious. I've left them doubled up laughing in their garden because no Canarian who actually lives on the island has received this 'fictional' warning.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

so your all still alive and kicking then.....lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "sun´s eruption absolute rubbish

Gusto,

I work for a tour operator and they aren't 'warning' people of an impending eruption. Basically, this means the foreign office are saying it is find to go. So this shows as usual it's being blown out of all proportion.