We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime spree on the island. True or not?

scotland
Level Contributor
142 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Hi All,

I will be coming over on the 8th May for a couple of weeks with teenage daughter and her pals and staying in Costa Adeje end. A friend has just returned with stories of increased crime on the island and attacks by "groups of foreigners" who go around in cars attacking people. Needless to say I wouldn't fancy letting my daughter out of my sight if this is the case. Can somebody hopefully clarify that this is a load of bull?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,956 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Erh

yes and no

I believe that in las americas and los c, recently there has been an increase in bars and peoples homes being broken in.

but remember it does happen everywhere in the world and tenerife is no different.

take a look here it was a thread i started a while ago about the same your on about.

I'm sure you will be fine on holiday, and your daughter and her friends will have a ball.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k26…

Santa Cruz de...
Level Contributor
96 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

"Groups of foreigners going round in cars attacking people" makes it sound like anarchy & is a complete exaggeration in my experience.

While it's true that there has been an increase in robberies on shops in some districts (breaking into jewellers & electronic shops at night for example) it does need to be kept in perspective. I don't see the need for your daughter & pals to be any more aware than we all would be in many other parts of the world. In fact the regional Department of Tourism is just after launching a campaign with families in mind, emphasising the general level of security on the islands when compared to the security issues in Egypt, Tunisia & Turkey for example. And that's not the kind of claim a tourism board would put in national newspaper fliers if they couldn't back it up.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Hi I have always found Tenerife a very safe place to be and holiday. However opportunistic crime always rises with unemployment, where ever you are in the world. Often people tend to let their guard down on holiday, especially when they have had a few drinks. Take the same amount of care as you would at home and you be fine.

scotland
Level Contributor
142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Thanks guys.

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

There has been a spate of robberies from bars and shops etc. recently but 'groups of foreigners' roaming around in cars attacking people, where do these stories come from. Sounds as likely as The Sun's eruption story!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

FatbobScotland:

I'm sure your daughter will have a great time. Of course she will need to be on her guard - as you would advise anyone going on holiday - there is always a thief about no matter where you go, but the biggest sharks in my estimation are the taxi drivers. You never pay the same fare twice. When they see tourists, they see euros. Be sure to agree a fare before you step into a taxi.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,956 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

yeah totally agree miss lyons, for us taxi drivers were the worse, so much that after this last holiday we said we would never use them again, some of them are so aggressive.

you will have a fab time.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Yes Lenny - they're aggressive alright and of course then you get the ones who don't give you any change! We also had them in Lanzarote a few years back.

Methinks we should invest in a pair of rollerblades or a skateboard!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Hi, not all taxi drivers are like that. We all ways taxis with meters and have always had very good service. However for getting around, the local bus service is very good.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,865 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime spree on the island. True or not?

Two more updates

…islandconnections.eu/589/pdf/island_connect…

and

…islandconnections.eu/589/pdf/island_connect…