We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

centenary of teide eruption

england
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
centenary of teide eruption

on the 18th - 27 november is the 100th aniversary of the last eruption on tenerife,i wonder if they will be doing something special for the centenary.

thanks to tenerife magazine for this artical.

tenerifemagazine.com/featured/the-miracle-of…

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: centenary of teide eruption

Oooh!! Jeesh Stealth ...I hope Teide doesn't think of something !!!!!! and we arrive just in time LOL !

Sylla

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: centenary of teide eruption

Interesting article 'Stealth', thanks for that. Let's hope it's not planning a repeat performance.

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: centenary of teide eruption

The last eruption happened at Montana Chinyero, which can be accessed from the Chio to Teide road, about a mile downhill from the Chio recreation zone.

There is a newly waymarked walking route encircling to volcano which gives excellent views of the cone and the lava flows that occurred during the eruption. The route is around 5.5 kilometres long and at one point, actually crosses the lava flow.

For anyone intersted in walking the route, just drive along the Chio/Teide road until you see a brown sign marked ' Montana Chinyero 1410 metres' at the side of the road. It is possible to park here and follow a track into the pine trees where you will easily pick up the signposts marking the way. As the route is circular, you just follow the signs until you return to your start point. Where the route is not marked by signposts, it is marked by yellow and white paint stripes on rocks. It is a very interesting route and not too difficult, although there is a climb of around 200ft at one point.

england
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: centenary of teide eruption

well mybelle,sylla and i are due to land on the 27th nov so lets hope the runway is clear.lol x

england
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: centenary of teide eruption

thanks cyberhiker,very interesting.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: centenary of teide eruption

Yes thanks Cyber, any photos of that part of the walk ?...for those of us that won't be going up there .......

Sylla

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: centenary of teide eruption

Unfortunately no, Sylla. I forgot my camera the day I checked it out. I will be doing the route again soon though so I will try and remember to take it with me!!

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,757 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: centenary of teide eruption

Look forward to them Cyber ......

Sylla

You startled me Stealth ....nice one !

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: centenary of teide eruption

Here are some photo's taken on a walk today around Montana Chinyero. It was a superb day enjoyed by all and we had great weather until around 2pm when it rained a bit. There was even a light dusting of snow on the summit of Teide in the morning, which soon melted away in the sun.

picasaweb.google.co.uk/cyberhiker1/Chinyero…

england
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: centenary of teide eruption

what beautiful photo's cyber,thanks for sharing them with us.