We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay?

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay?

Hi there,

We are a couple in our 30's.

We are planning a short vacation in Tenerife aroud the beginning of April.(afrer Barcelona)

We are not fancy of mass touristic places and huge resorts.

On the other hand,we don't want to be completly isolated cause we would like to have some bars and nice restaurants around.

I would appreciate your advice & recommendations.

Thank you very much:)

Sharon

One Day In Tenerife
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Private Tours
Tuk Tuk Sweet Tours Tenerife
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Get Holiday
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Eco Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Feel Tenerife
Sightseeing Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay?

Hi Sharon

Welcome to the forum,I do think that everyone that will reply to your request will come up with the area that they know best and will advise you that you should go to that one. So you may be opening a "can of worms" and just to start it off I would say thay Puerto de la Cruz could be the type of place that you would like. It is a traditional resort with a good mixture of holidaymakers from Spain,Germany and the UK. It is quieter than some of the sourthern areas but has hotels ect to suit all tastes and pockets, there are plenty of bars and eating places and has some nice shops.

The beach is black volcanic sand and {as we speak} the town and some hotels are having a complete makeover. Although it is a very popular area it is never crowded and you can relax without feeling that you are the only holidaymaker around.

Many people say that the north is cooler and wetter than the south and even though it is true to some extent it is not a cold, wet place to stay.

I do hope that other posters will come and state what they regard as the good points of the places that they visit but IMO Puerto de la Cruz could be right up your street .

Once you have had more replies and have made your choice do come back if you have any further questions as I am sure that we will be able to answer anything you may ask

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay?

Hi Sparhawk1,

Thank you very much for your quick reply,you have been very helpful.

I am considering weather to visit the north or the south.

I have done some reading and as far as I have understood the south is more crowded and the north could be colder....

I heard about Santa Cruze and Los Cristianos and I think it can be a nice option.

If there is a nice quit village that is close to a central city that could be a good idea as well.

Thanks again

Sharon

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay?

Bumping this post up. Any other posters want to come in with any other suggestions??

Sparhawk1

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay?

Hola Sharon

I agree with Sparhawk. I like Puerto, especially after Barcelona. Puerto is the traditional town/resort dating from the 1600s. There are lovely shady squares to sit and watch the world go by with a cup of coffee or ice cream. It is a favorite with the Spanish from the mainland, which must say something. The local bus service is very good, so you can get out and about. It is worth visiting Oratava and perhaps the capita Santa Cruz. However the highlight of you stay will be to the conservation zoo, Loro Parque. The penguins are my favorite, it even snows!! April will be a lovely month to go. Certainly shorts and tee shirts during the day. Plenty of time to sit on the beach or around the pool, and a lot warmer than Barcelona. There are two airpots in Tenerife, internal flights come into the northern one from there it is les than half an hour. There is also a good bus service from the airport direct to Puerto.

Feliz Navidad

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay?

Sharon,

There are nice areas all over the island so can I suggest that for a start you have a look at the link to our frequently asked questions

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k26…

in particular if you look at the section which gives an overview of all the different areas it might help you out.

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay?

Hi Feliz,

Thank you very much for your quick respond.

I wonder if Puerto is not mass touristic place.

Are you familiar with a nice,quit village with some bars and restaurants that is close to a big city that is more bubbly?

Thanks a lot

Sharon

Plymouth
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay?

Hi Sharon, do you have your travel & accommodation arrangments for Barcelona yet? I would def recommend El Borne neighbourhood in Barcelona, which is now a very popular & trendy part of the city, full of restaurants, tapas bars etc & near to the beach too! You can find apartments in this area too, and many are in quiet side streets, so you can sleep at night! Try www.barcelonaflats.co.uk for apartments & details/info all about Barcelona too. I always use them

Plymouth
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay?

Hi Sharon, do you have your travel & accommodation arrangments for Barcelona yet? I would def recommend El Borne neighbourhood in Barcelona, which is now a very popular & trendy part of the city, full of restaurants, tapas bars etc & near to the beach too! You can find apartments in this area too, and many are in quiet side streets, so you can sleep at night! Try www.barcelonaflats.co.uk for apartments & details/info all about Barcelona too. I always use them

manchester
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay?

hi sharon. we have been to the island quite a few times and are going back in march. you dont say wether hiring a car is an option. oh well.if a car is an option golf de sur is probably a great option. its about 10mins drive from los cristianos and 15-20mins las americas,with this option you can always have the world at your feet and be as quiet or wild as you like.golf de sur is an absolute gem. A lovely quiet area very popular with golfers. there are a handful of bars and some very nice resteraunts. there is a small shopping complex ,containing a few little shops,pubs and some beautiful resteraunts. there is live entertainment in the complex square of an evening,lovely to watch from resteraunt terrace.that however concludes golf de sur.oh apart from a nice little, i mean little bay area. not much doing but lovely as long as you can escape if you need a little noise some days.

if however a car is not an option then i would have to plum for los cristianos. it is noisier of course,but by no means wild. los cristianos is a lovely town. its got a fab ,very very pretty and chic looking shopping complex,comprising designer shops etc and some lovely resteraunts. the beach is nice,not too noisy etc... there are some nice little places to eat along the front.we love to sit outside and people watch.there are some nice options for boat trips and whale and dolphin watching too if thats your thing.

nightlife is very laid back and on a much much quieter scale than los americas. i think as you like a little going on but dont want to do the 18-30s holiday thing here may be a fab option.hope this helped. have good time.sue

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay?

Hi Sharon

As the last poster has said the Golf is a pretty area with a small selection of bars and restaurants (slightly fewer since the fire as the bar and restaurant have still not opened) however you should also be aware if you are considering this area that it is a mere 4km from the southern runway of the Airport, and although this means a very short transfer into the resort, it also means that guests staying here will undoubtedly experience a considerable degree of aircraft noise. Reina Sofia is open 24 hours a day and throughout the night a large number of heavy cargo planes use the facility in addition to the numerous charter flights landing and taking off. In all fairness to the authorities who run the airport, in order to minimise the disturbance, aircraft do tend to approach the airport from over the sea, and as a consequence landings are somewhat quieter than takeoffs.

I would also ask ladyboo where the designer shops are in Los Cristianos as I cannot recall these, the only ones that I know are in the American Plaza and the Safari Centre which are both in the upmarket end of Las Americas. However I am happy to be corrected.

At the end of the day it is all opinions as to what we like and want from our holidays.

Edited: 08 December 2009, 19:58