We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bug raging in Los Gigantes

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
bug raging in Los Gigantes

im getting info that the Novo Virus bug that causes vomiting severe diaorhea and stomach cramps is raging out of control in Los Gigantes area and a lot of guests at Los Gigantes Hotel have been suffering, is it restricted to this area of Tenerife and this hotel in particular, anybody have any updates?

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Has it been confirmed that the "Time share girl" has "it" ?

S

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Have any cases been confirmed?

They all seem to be suffering from sickness and diarrhoea. If as you say it is mild then few would go to see a doctor in the first instance, but if it starts to last for several days then I am sure people will. We just have to wait and see what happens to the people we know personally rather than go on rumour.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

It seems that Thomsons seem to be ignoring this problem, so I telephoned them to switch my booking at Los Gigantes hotel , they told me I couldnt as it was less than 8 weeks to departure when I mentioned the problems re sickness at the hotel, the young lady almost immediatly changed her stance and asked me which accomodation I wanted to change to and proceeded to alter my hotel and I have now received confirmation e mail

(yes there was a small charge) but better safe than sorry, so now I can relax and look forward to having hopefully another great holiday in Tenerife

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,574 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Pleased to hear you sorted it out sunndays ....

Sylla

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,995 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Good for you Sunnydays, think you did the right thing changing your location. Looking at the last review it would seem that between 60 and 70% of the guests have been affected by whatever this bug is.and of course as they then go around town it spreads to other tourists and locals alike.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

stockport
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Puerto Santiago staying at the Balcon de Los Gigantes. Both myself and husband were affected by the vomiting/diarrhea thing. We did not go anywhere near the Los Gigantes hotel so we cannot blame it on that. My husband went to the pharmacy near Viglia Park for medication and there was a line of about 5 people asking for medication for the same thing. We recovered after 3 days but thereafter every bar/restaurant/beach we went to and spoke to anyone English and other nationalities, everyone knew about the problem and if not personally affected they knew someone who was as far as upto Adeje. It is not a pleasant experience at any time but the I do think the authorities in Tenerife need to take look into this further. Tourism in the area is suffering and this is not going to help!!!!!

Tenerife
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Balcon de los Gigantes is residental, no touristic license. No rental under 6 months allowed there. No reviews here because of this.

Sickness probably caused by water. Very poor in area at presence, low water supplies.

otley
1 post
Save Reply
28. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Hi we have just returned from a week in los gigantes in a private appt, both suffered same bug and all the shop keepers etc keeping quiet and playing it down. Exactly the same thing last year in Jan and all the people we spoke to all had had it or knew someone who had. Rumours are abounding of an inadequate sewage outflow but whatever the reason the authorities need to investigate and find out the source not pretend it is only a small outbreak. Tourism is suffering here as it is, we have been coming for ten years but wont be back next year unless we hear that something has been done, two years on the trot a bit suspect.

Swindon
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Yes - this has been called 'conspiracy of silence' .

How can they blame the people bringing it with them on the plane,

as if it has just been them. When it has been there for over a month

There are many very old people who go there and I would fear for them.

The Marches
1 post
Save Reply
30. Re: bug raging in Los Gigantes

Just returned from Puerto Santiago and what had been a brilliant holiday came to a sad end when my friend and I developed violent sickness one hour into the return flight. We had been staying in private apartments and know of one other who was also sick and heard rumours of many more. Apologies to all those on Sunday evenings Monarch flight to Birmingham who may have been inconvenienced by our extrememly sudden illness.