We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations. Tenerife.

Accommodations. Tenerife.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2010, 14:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

Hi

I for one go down the DIY route as I find that the TO seem to be cutting down on the accomodation that I want to use and that flight times may not be the ones I like. Overall I have found it cheaper to do it this way and as yet have never had any problems

Sparhawk1

2. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

North East England...
Level Contributor
744 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

Hi,

In 2007,2008 we booked flights/hotel seperate,however last year we booked a package and saved abt £300 compared to DIY...Going in July this year and booked flights/hotel seperate again...depends on your budget,month of travel and the choice of flights available from your local airport....

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

Although some people seem to be able to find good package deals occasionally, I have never for the last 10 years been able to get anything come within £200 of the prices I can get doing DIY. I have sat many a time in a travel agents while they phone around trying to beat my DIY options and they can't do it!

The other thing is that you have much more flexibililty with DIY - perhaps you can choose much better flight times, or even sneak in an extra day or select only BandB, as opposed to half board.

Of course, the other advantage is that you have a much better choice of accommodation doing it DIY, perhaps you want a villa in a quiet area whilst still being within reach of the tourist areas, perhaps you want to go back to a favourite hotel, the choices are huge.

Having said all of that it is possible that because of the current financial climate, there may be deals to be had in the package area, but in my opinion they would tend to be in less favoured accommodation etc.

If you are looking for some villa options why not have a look at www.ownersdirect.co.uk for a great selection.

Nelly

North East England...
Level Contributor
744 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

To say many of the the best package deals are to less favoured accom. is utter rubbish....Vulcano,Bouganville and PS3 to name a few are all very popular....Bouganville last May and PS3 in October were great value for money package deals...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

I think the point people were making is that you have a much wider choice of accommodation and flights when arranging things yourself. I don´t see anyone saying that all package deals are to poor accommodation.

That said, we prefer self catering and there is absolutely no doubt that we can get accommodation of a far higher standard and which also meets all our requirements of facilities, location etc., than we could hope to get by buying a package. We haven´t travelled package for more than 18 years now and have never had any problems.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 16:37
Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my comments about the accommodation with package deals. What I was saying was that a) there is a wider choice by doing it DIY and b) it is only common sense that the really discounted deals with packages are likely to be to the hotels etc which are not booked up quickly. I wasn't in any way saying that all the hotels available via packages were of any lesser quality and as you quite rightly say, hotels like the Vulcano are excellent.

Nelly

North East England...
Level Contributor
744 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

Oh Dear,

Wider choice booking accom.DIY not in question...bit obvious.

I dont see anyone on this thread saying - ALL package deals are to poor accom.

9. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodations. Tenerife.

saying that...we booked diy for years but this year have gone the self catering package deal because it is cheaper and the flights & accomodation are what we would have gone doing it separately..especially since the demise of globespan in scotland