We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money

I am not sure if this is the same thing but the Nationwide Card often gets mentioned as the cheapest way to change money when in Tenerife ..... does this effect the situation ??

dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1265787/Crackd…

L

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money

Hi, I understand that Nationwide are making a number of changes to their 'free' services, and one of them is restricting the amount of cash you can withdraw 'over the counter'. However there are most of the UK High Street Banks have brabches in Tenerife, many have access to local cash machines and there are many money change shops around, also most shops accept Credit Cards although you will always need another form of photo ID in shops.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money

Thanks Ricky.

Its just that a lot of TA members advocate the use of the Nationwide card to withdraw cash as the cheapest method but the second half of this article seems to indicate that in future the card can only be used for purchases not cash withdrawals ....... I just wasnt sure if it was the same card etc

L

leeds
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money

I was in Nationwide today and asked about this, as I use a Nationwide debit card for drawing cash from atms and paying for meals out etc when on holiday.The lady behind the counter told me that it is the credit cards they are making changes to. If you have a debit card, everything remains the same, ie free cash withdrawals, no charge for using the card, apart from if you use it to draw cash outside the eu they will charge 1%. hope this helps.

Susie

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money

The Nationwide Flex account was, if you already have one, the cheapest way to withdraw money abroad. (MUCH cheaper than other banks Ricky!) It seems that there are no immediate plans to change this although new customers probably won't be able to obtain one of these cards. There are currently no charges in Europe and the charge in the rest of the world is 1%..

5. Re: Changing money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 05:17