We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie Tenerife Advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie Tenerife Advice

I can't remember if I have been to Tenerife before or not however I am looking for a cheap holiday at the beginning of May and would like some advice or tips on where to stay etc. As the weather looks okay it seems like a good place to go for a week. Would be nice to be near a good beach & somewhere not to quiet. A good Tapas restaurant would be a bonus.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11,489 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Hi

And welcome to the tenerife forum

boy you must travel a lot if you can't remember if you have been to tenerife before....lol

Looking for a holiday, you could try a package, with the likes of thomas cook or thomsons

then you could price fights with ryanair and easyjet, and then look for accommodation with alpha rooms, or travelrepublic, some times works out cheaper, a taxi transfer to las americas is around 20-25 euros, or the bus is about 2 euros.

As for where to say it does depend on what you want.

The popular are is around the meditterian palace hotel, and it is one i recommend a lot, great area, it has some good up-market bars in the safari shopping centre, and at the back a row of good bars with entertainment on.

there is a lovely beach and your only a 20 min walk down to los cristianos, where there are plenty of small tapas restaurants.

Anywhere around D8 on this map is where i'm on about,

tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

feel free to come back and ask more questions

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Hi Ianc, you don't say what you like out of a holiday. The island has two main areas, the south close to the airport is where the main beach resorts are with water parks, boat trips etc are. To the north is the traditional old town/resort of Puerto de la Cruz, with many old buildings and shady squares to sit and watch the world go by. There is a good black (volcanic) sandy beach, an award winning sea water lido complex and a smaller beach with surf school. Let us know what you like and we can advise you better.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz
Tenerife, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Thanks for responses everybody. I am after a nice break for a week on a good beach, Some nice Tapas & Sangria & maybe a book. That said it would be nice to be somewhere that you can't hear a pin drop in case evening entertainment is required. Just a thought do all the beeches have black sand or just some? i can never get on with black sand.

Hopefully air travel will resume to normal by the end of the month although this could be a positive thing in the world of air pollution but I don't fancy relying on ships to get on holidays in the future.

UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

1anc

There are some excellent deals about on a DIY. Basis...you could rent a

2 bed unit sleep 6..from just £6.00 per person. per Night! in a Quality

Self Catering Resort..

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Hi ianc ...

You have already had good advice from Lenny and Ricky ...and as you seem to be requesting beaches that are not black, then stay with Lenny's advice in the south Playa de las Americas .....but if you want something with a more Canarian feel ...then go with Ricky and Puerto ...

PDLA is modern and it is really nice with a lovely very long promenade you can walk for miles ...lots of night life, bars and restaurants ....

Puerto de la Cruz although again quite modern still has the lovely old town all mixed in with lots of character ...very good bars and restaurants especially Tapas as Puerto has lots of Canarians living there ....It has a great charm ....but also your black sand I'm afraid ....

Sylla

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Puerto Palace
Hotel Puerto Palace
884 Reviews
Tenerife, Spain
Puerto de la Cruz
Puerto de la Cruz
Tenerife, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

"there are some excellent deals about on a DIY. Basis...you could rent a

2 bed unit sleep 6..from just £6.00 per person. per Night! in a Quality

Self Catering Resort.."

Whereabouts is this?

Edited: 18 April 2010, 12:35
UK
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

1anc.

Unfortunately, for some crazy reason..known only to the powers that BE!

Ian...i cannot tell you but here's a hint..an auction site by the bay!! e-buy-gum

London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Has anybody stayed here before or know the area.

alpharooms.com/…

I am opting for the more local feel. Don't mind black sand if I can make up for it with my stomach and some nice sanrchria. I am in my early forties so I can live without the bright lights that said I don't want to sleep for a week : )

Thanks

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,859 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Hi ianc.....

Have you read the reveiws .....Casablanca Apts always seems to get good ones .....I have not stayed there myself , but it is not far from where we stay ....just up a bit of a hill ....but that must be good for you ;-) but it is walking distance to the center .... here is the link ...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187481-d2958…

You can always go to google streets and get a good view of the area ....

Sylla

Mentioned in this post
Casablanca
Casablanca
Grand Casablanca Region, Morocco
London, United...
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbie Tenerife Advice

Hi, I am must have been reading the reviews whilst you just posted your reply. Seems that everybody says the apartments are great value for money. I am just thinking about my boredom level : )I am very good at entertaining myself within reason! It does seem like a local place which is fine by me.