We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

Merseyside
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

We paid the balance of our long awaited to Sensatori Tenerife last week.......then the reviews came in.

One of the reasons we booked this resort was because it looked peaceful and relaxing and we want some 5* pampering but if the service and food is as bad as people are saying then I wouldn't feel at all relaxed or pampered. The full board plus seemed a really good option but if the service is that bad and you have to wait for over half an hour to be served with drinks and they are "rationed" then we have wasted our money. We were really looking forward to this holiday after a particularly stressful year and feel quite upset now that its not what Thomsons are selling.

Does anyone know what our position would be with Thomsons with regard to cancelling within 4 weeks of going (would we get our money back?) or if all of the money we have paid (£3,000) can be used to pay for another holiday.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

Hi Juleslaw

If you read the T&C regarding cancelling a holiday it will tell you how much you can expect to get back from the TO. I do believe that as it is so close to your departure date you would not be able to get any money back for the reason you are giving.

While I would agree that if the TO is not supplying what it offers you could possibly take them to task after you return but I am afraid that {as I understand it} if you cancel you loose your money.

Regards

Sparhawk1

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

Sparhawk is right, you will lose whatever percentage it states in the back of the brochure is the cancellation charge.

If you state the reason for cancelling is because of what you have read, you'll probably get the standard line that people are more likely to put a bad review on TA, as most people who have a good time are less likely to post a review. Even if you write to them and send them a link to the bad reviews they probably will not want to know. Having been in the travel business a long time, I know that's how it works.

You have three options, ask to amend to an alternative holiday (though they will probably say it is too close to departure), cancel the holiday and write to them for a refund or thirdly, go on the holiday and see for yourself and then write on your return for compensation, if it's as bad as you're thinking it'll be.

I hope that helps you.

scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

I would advise that you don't read too much into the reviews. As said before people will write a review if they feel they have had a bad holiday and often to proof a point will "over tell" their experiences. I have first hand experience as a Manager in a 4 star AA hotel and some of the reviews that are written about our hotel can be over exaggerated. Also we had booked and stayed at the Crete Sensatori in 2008 when it first opened and had the best holiday abroad we have ever had, the hotel, food, service and childcare was definately 5 star. Had we taken into account the reviews written on tripadviser we would have run in the opposite direction and cancelled our holiday. I am going to Tenerife Sensatori in July and despite the reviews won't be cancelling.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

Thanks for all your replies and advice. We did cancel and had to pay a small amendment charge but to be honest it was worth it for peace of mind. I'm still reading reviews though and they are improving - I'd love to book for our next hol!

Anyway we're booked into Sensatori Crete and I'm really looking forward to it now, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it there.

J

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

I hear what you are saying, we were looking for somehwere really relaxing, with good service, friendly staff etc. last year when we booked a holiday in Turkey, so we looked up a place that looked promising on Tripadvisor reviews, with most reviews being positive, only to discover when we arrived that it was the complete opposite to what the reviewers had said with bad service, a downright rude manager, in short - constant aggravation. Conversely we had booked a holiday at a hotel in Sharm el Sheikh the year before which had terrible reviews, were on the point of cancelling on the strength of those reviews but decided 'to hell with it' and went anyway, and I can quite safely say that it turned out to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in.

I suppose it is a bit like Marmite, what some love others loathe, so you won't really know what this place is like until you actually stay there.

So unless everyone who reviews it is saying there are sharks in the swimming pool and psycho killers roaming the corridors I'd give it a go.

And don't forget to write your own review putting the rest right if you have an absolutely wonderful holiday.

Nothing in life is ever assured.

But I hope you enjoy it.

X

scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

You will really enjoy crete, email the hotel directly before you go and ask to be on the same side as the Robinson Club hotel. If you can find my review on "Sensatori Crete" it will tell you what room number we stayed in. We hope to go back to the hotel next year.

Good Luck.

7. Re: sensatori Tenerife - can we cancel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 05:16