We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Ok i was all set on booking Portugal for 1 week staying in Albufeira (never been before) when the flights reduced for Tenerife. Have only ever been there once before when i was 19 so looking for a diff experience with my husband and 3 yr old.

Looking to go 30 Aug - 6 Sep .

Want nice food, good "nightlife" (ie nice restaurants and evening entertainment in them or family friendly bars) and lots of local attractions. Has anyone been to both - can you recommend one over the other? Appreciate the advice. I thought i was sold on Portugal until i got a great price for an apartment in Paloma Beach booking through holiday letings - and now i dont know., In terms of spending money was planning on £700-800 for 1 week so want to go to whichever gives us best value for money. Thanks

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,233 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Things might have changed over the past couple of years but here is a review I wrote after staying the Albufeira

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189112-d5…

Your wish list actually sounds as if you are describing Los Cristianos or Las Americas, not the area you went to when you were 19 but there are some lovely places in the South. I know the Paloma Beach and they are in a great location just across the road from the beach, a few bars directly opposite but if you walk along the seafront you will be spoilt for choice.

Just my opinion but Tenerife over Portugal every time.

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

We had timeshare in Albufeira oldtown overlooking the Fisherman's beach and we really liked it. The old town is lovely and not to be confused with 'The Strip', which is a long road full of bars/restaurants and clubs a couple of miles away. This is nowhere near as nice as the old town in my opinion but it's livelier if you want that sort of thing. Much as we liked Albufeira, we travelled fairly extensively during numerous visits and have to say that with the possible exception of Lagos, Albufeira was the only town on the Algarve that we really liked. there are one or two smaller villages that were quite nice such as Burgau and Praia Da Luz but on the whole we didn't find many that impressed us. I would say that the only area where The Algarve scores over Tenerife is the beaches, which are magnificent.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Love them both, but must admit I haven't been to Portugal for a few years now.

What is your hotel / apartment like in Portugal, has it got good reviews?

You will find the weather can get quite cool/windy in the evenings in Portugal in September - much warmer in Tenerife. But you'll have a great holiday whichever you choose.

Let us know which one you pick!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Thanks for the replies - yes it would be the Old Town we would be staying in Portugal. I must admit i do love beautiful beaches and have been rather spoiled with them on our recent trips to USA and OZ - but i do realise Europe is entirely different. I only ever went to Europe on clubbing hols when i was younger so yet to experience it as a family, When i was 19 we stayind in PDLA, and frequented Veronicas often. Thats why I thought about staying in Los Cristianos instead as to be away fom the young crowds. I am by no means old myself (only 27) so dont want it to be too quiet just somewhere that caters for kids also! So is Los Cristianos best bet then over Albufeira Old Town?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

FAO misslyons

Both are private apartments through Holiday lettings. Both on complexes. The one in Portugal is in Jardim I in Albufeira which is quite hilly and the one in Tenerife is in Paloma Beach Apts. Both apartments are fantastic looking but the one in Tenerife may just have the edge over Portugal. Just weighing up which is best. Would £700-800 be enough for 1 week spends or better to try and bring it up to £1000 for 2 adults and 1 child? Thanks

up north
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

have enjoyed good holidays in both places so the only thing that would swing it for me is the two hrs shorter flight time to the portugal especially with a 3 yr old as well.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
139 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Having been to both, I much preferred Tenerife as I found many more places to eat and relaxing bars etc.. in Tenerife.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Thanks everyone - still cant decide - other people with families recommend portugal over tenerife because of Zoomarine however Tenerife also has Loro Parque. In terms of nightlife then would there be anywhere in Los Cristianos were we would be welcomed with my child? I.e when we were in Gran Canaria a few yrs back we found a little English bar that we went to that held pub quizzes and karaokes and also had some other entertainment such as singers etc and was completely family friendly. We would be looking for something similar on this holiday - not wanting to go back to the apartment in the evenings but also dont want to go to noisy bars that are filled with young clubbing types. thanks

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

Hi Caz,

There are dozens of bars like you describe in Los Cristianos with entertainment, karaoke etc and most are family friendly.

Also Tenerife has many other attractions you could take children to e.g. the Monkey Park and Jungle Park as well as Siam Park Waterpark - although it has some really big slides - too big for your child there is an excellent area for the wee ones. There is also Aqualand which is probably more suitable for wee ones and has dolphin shows etc.

There are two beaches in Los Cristianos - both with white sand and excellent.

Nelly

10. Re: Portugal or Tenerife for family holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 06:16