We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

Spanish Air Traffic Controllers tonight voted to go on strike later this month. As yet the date is not fixed but from the newspapers it looks as if it could be 18th or 20th August

guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/03/spain-air-t…

typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_26…

Cockermouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas, Cockermouth
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

oh joy....always something !!

Usa, Japan
Level Contributor
506 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

The wages paid is outrageous

Bristol, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

I was on holiday in Tenerife when the Volcano exploded and got stuck there with my 2 small boys. Now I am back there with my partner and looks like I'll be stuck there again!!!! What are the odds of that happening to me again! Brilliant

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

Quote "The wages paid is outrageous"

Sorry yumlogger - explain yourself please.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

OMG if it's not a volcano or BA it's the air traffic controllers somewhere.

Kilmarnock, East...
Level Contributor
187 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

Think really everyone is needing to get a grip on reality ! Apparantly they are the highest paid civil servants anywhere ! We are due to fly to Tenerife on 20th August and due to the fact we have had two holidays cancelled this year due to the ash - if this third one is delayed or cancelled due to this - we will be re-thinking all our future holidays plans as far as going abroad. Really no country can take much more upset and loss of trade - so look at the bigger picture - no tourists no job anyway !! The Spanish government needs to step in and sort this out before it happens !

galway
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

fantastic.... Hope to god its not going to go ahead in september. Just my luck

Suffolk
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

Is there any update on this yet?

This will be my only holiday this year and I'll be gutted if I spend it at the airport!!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

This is in todays newspaper - Canary Islands - 06.08.2010 -

Government vows legal action against controllers

The Canarian government is set to take legal action against air traffic controllers over the strike planned for later in August. Regional president Paulino Rivero said on radio yesterday that he would not allow the controllers to inflict further damage on the Canarian economy and tourist sector.

'We will not let a group of 2000 people hold the country to ransom' said Rivero, who reminded the controllers that they were a privileged sector earning over 200,000 euros at a time when there are 4 million unemployed in Spain. The government's legal services are looking into ways of blocking the strike. Rivero revealed that the uncertainty generated by the strike threat is already having an effect on the tourist industry here.

Kilmarnock, East...
Level Contributor
187 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air traffic controllers strike could affect your holiday

Well done to them for even making a statement like that ! At least they are showing an interest and looking after tourism !! Fingers crossed and thanks for the update - could not do without people putting info on this site ! Cheers