We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

Hi, We are trying to decide which resort to go for, we are going on honeymoon end of Feb next year and I was looking at the upmarket 4 & 5 star hotels in Adeje but then again there are some nice hotels in Las Americas,

Will Las Americas be too busy, or is Feb/March a quieter time so maybe Adeje would be too quiet?

We are really struggling to decide which resort to go for.

We dont want too busy as its our honeymoon, but at that time of year dont want to risk it being too quiet and nothing open and noting to do? never been away at that time of year so any advice would be great, and also what is the weather likely to be like if anyone been that time of year before?

Thanks for any help given.

kirksby
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

I would say go to adeje as for me las Americas Is too busy. I have been to adeje many times and would recommend it to anybody. Also adeje is more upmarket than las Americas and everything is open all year round even if it's not as busy/quite

Hoped I helped

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

Hi Karen

Yours is a difficult question to answer because Costa Adeje is a name used by the marketing people to cover areas like El Duque, La Caleta, San Eugenio, Torviscas, Fañabe, Callao Salvaje, Playa Paraiso and even Las Americas itself so you can´t sweepingly say it is better than PdlA, as some is quite bad, tacky or isolated, it really depends on which area you are looking.

My preference would be for Las Americas in the area around the Mare Nostrum complex where there are beautiful shopping complexes, up-market bars and restaurants and lots of entertainment on your doorstep.

Everything will be open as usual but there won´t be crowds especially on an evening as it tends to be the time of year when we have the 'swallows' who are here for several months to get away from the UK winter and a large majority go to bed early so some restaurants will close around 10.30ish.

up north
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

if its your honeymoon i would stay at the adeje end to be honest, its a bit quieter and unless you want chips with everything a bit more up market also.las americas is walking distance or a very short taxi ride at the most so your not far way anyway.

we have been in feb loads of times and everything should be open.and you dont get as many lager louts that time of yr either.

Edited: 11 December 2010, 12:55
Nottingham
Level Contributor
934 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

We are regular visitors to Tenerife and always have the same decision to make,we are of the opinion in the winter months we go to PDLA and visa versa in the summer.I would suggest you look at the Europe Villa Cortes a very nice 5 Star in the up market part of PDLA,it would be a great choice for your honeymoon

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

We've been to Tenerife several times in the last 20 years both as a couple and with the family, in that time we have stayed in most areas from Los Cristianos to La Caleta. We had a brilliant week there last January staying at the El Mirador in the Del Duque area of Costa Adeje, it was our best holiday on the island.

You have the El Mirador, Bahia Del Duque, Vincci La Plantacion and Sheraton La Caleta hotels in this area, you won't go wrong with any of them.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

hi, karen it depends on what your likes are, stopped in both areas loads of times I always find adeje a bit to quiet. I agree with aguilas the mare nostrem area has some lovely hotels & restaurants around the dancing fountain area also on the sea front, if you ask for chips you get chips if you ask for canarian potatoes or jackets thats what you get, food is very good in both areas though, what do you do @ night time is probaly the main factor & what board basis you are stopping on is another, the 4&5 * hotels all have decent entertainment on really depends on what your own tastes are .

manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

Hi, Thanks to all who have replied with advice so far, it will be our honeymoon so advice is appreciated.

The Mare Nostrum area seems to be quite a good choice as does the Adeje area.

We are looking for a good 4 star or 5 star hotel HB in an area not to brash and busy but not too quite, we like to walk around the shops bars and pubs in the evening after a nice meal.

I think fist week in March the Mare nostrum area looks good, but not sure what hotels are in this area if anyone could help.

Many Thanks for all your help so far.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

Just back from tenerife and i would say that i would choose adeje any day over las americas.Las americas is very run down compared to adeje which has lots of 5 star hotels that dont cost much more than grotty 4 star hotels in Las A mericas.I stayed at the Sheraton which is really nice and perfect for your honeymoon.,most hotels in adeje are more upmarket than the places in Las Americas.I didnt see any nice hotels in Las Americas,dont believe the brochures.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

Hi Pepsi

Welcome to the forum - I appreciate everyone's opinions differ but whereabouts do you call Las Americas, as there are some wonderful hotels - not just my opinion (as I don´t stay in them) but the members of this forum all recommend places like the Villa Cortes, Mediterranean Palace, Sir Anthony, the Cleopatra, Vulcano, Gran Tinerfe, Jardin Tropical, the list goes on an on.

However I agree that where you stayed in the Sol Tenerife is not a great place but then you are right in Veronicas/Starco clubbing area which anyone over 18 does not recommend.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adeje or Playa Las Americas?

Fair point, to be fair the area around the Mare Nostrum resort is the best part of PDLA and the hotels mentioned are very nice, but lets not forget it's not that far away from CC Starco and the "lower end" of the resort and can be very busy.

However the further you go away from PDLA along Costa Adeje, the nicer the area becomes, without doubt in my opinion the Del Duque area is the best and the hotels reflect that.

No contest for me which area is best to stay in, and I've stayed in all of them.