We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

Hi guys,

I'm form Ireland, and I'm hoping for some good recommendations to fit my criteria for a holiday early next year, as follows:

For: myself, wife (both 32), 6 month old baby.

When: March 2011

Duration: 10 days (ish)

Where: somewhere sunny, and with a direct flight from Dublin.

Accommodation: villa with privacy and own pool, but not secluded.

Notes: Ideally, we'd like to be in a quiet & safe villa resort, but not isolated. I don't want to be around any pissheads or clubbing areas/towns with British tourists singing "vindaloo" at 1am marching down the street. We'd like privacy & amenities, but we also don't want to be in the middle of nowhere for safety reasons with a young baby. I hate those huge resorts you see in travel agency catalogues with lots of apartments overlooking a large common pool area packed with people. I don't want to get drunk or be around drinkers & partiers - it's not that type of holiday - I want to spend quality time with my wife & daughter in the sun for a week or so, with our own private space, but as part of a bigger complex. Cost not really an issue, BTW.

Someone said to me either Tenerife or Lanzarote, but I'd prefer to get feedback from forum members based on experiences. Suggestions? :-)

Thanks in advance, guys.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

Herbie:

I went to Puerto de la Cruz this past February. While I was there I was told to see the Hotel Botanico, which I did. This is the most beautiful 5 star hotel with a very large and beautiful garden. The spa is out of this world in beauty. The spa also has many works of art from Thailand, so when one is a client in the spa, one can admire these rare works of art, and the experience is transcendental. The spa has its own outdoor swimming pool and the garden has wonderful views of Mount Teide.

I am determined to stay in this hotel on my next trip to Tenerife.

Cockermouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas, Cockermouth
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

But there will drinkers around every hotel... maybe dubai or somewhere where alcohol is banned might be more suitable, but then Im not sure of flights from Dublin

ps still to see "British" tourists marching down the street singing Vindaloo but had some great night outs with British & Irish people :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

Thanks Benny.

Mark: I know there will be drinkers around every hotel - which is why I asked for recommendations for a private villa - not as hotel. I don't want to be around drunk tourists making noise. It[s not an odd request, and your suggestion of Dubai, or somewhere else that has a ban on alcohol, is a bit silly.

Edited: 04 January 2011, 16:25
Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

I have not been to that part of the island myself, but lots of people have recommended to me the Playa Blanca area of Lanzarote. There seem to be a few very upmarket hotels and lots of private villas. This might be just what you are looking for, as, even outside your villa, you would be unlikely to meet the kind of people you don't want to see. maybe if you posted on the Playa Blanca forum you might get more info.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

Herbie,

Have a search on a site, for example, Owners Direct and search under somewhere like Costa Adeje or La Caleta or even Los Cristianos. Once you've found somewhere you think might be suitable come back and ask more information but be aware that some of Costa Adeje for example can be up a very steep hill a good bit away from the coast. Some private villas will be within "complexes" but others will be truly private, although the chances are they will be a little more secluded. I think this is going to be the case wherever you look. There are some great villages in the south, which are outwith the tourist resorts but which then may be too remote for you and would, for example, require a hire car - is this part of your plan?

Is a private pool essential to your requirements or would a very quiet communal pool suffice, if so - please get back to me as I will have a good suggestion for you.

Nelly

6. Re: Please recommend me a sun holiday in Spring...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 05:17