We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

what are the birthing procedures like in Tenerife.

Is pain relief permitted and at what point would I be able to travel back to the UK. Can anyone help?!

Hopefully it won't happen but you never know...!!!

up north
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

this is for the women to answer . .

but i think its the same for the men in spain, they go out and get drunk lol . .

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

Ha ha! :-) :-)

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,370 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

Many airlines will not carry pregnant women after 36 weeks – make sure you check with the airline before booking and airlines normally refuse to fly pregnant women who have previously given birth prematurely (pre-term) or have had blood clots in the veins of their legs.

If by any chance you get here and should go into labour, you can go to the nearest hospital. It's natural childbirth unless you have a caesarian so its no gas and air or pethidine. The job gets done efficiently and safely, but the whole attitude towards pain relief is in the dark ages.

Sorry no idea when you are fit enough to fly back to UK

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

Thank you! V helpful.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,933 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

As Aguilas says, most airlines will not carry you after 36 weeks for a single pregnancy. You would probably need a fit to fly letter confirming your edd from your doctor after 28 weeks.

I think most airlines have a minimum age of 1 week before baby can fly. Some are more.eg Thos Cook 2 wks, Easjet 15 days.

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

leyland and aguilas are correct about the guidelines on dates/times above ( 28+ letter, 36+ no go, 2 weeks for baby to fly back) so it could get a little tricky. You would also be advised to carry an E111 card for the reciprocal EU healthcare cover. I'm presuming you are a UK/EU citizen or it could get even more tricky than that. If you are preggers then check now with your flight provider what their own regs are as there are minor differences and you would not want to get to the airport and not be allowed to board (at either end)!. The other thing you need to check is your insurance as you may not be covered for cancellation if you knew you were pregnant at the time you booked the holiday/flight.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 19:36
ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

forgot to mention the obvious that the baby would need to be registered and obtain travel documents from the UK consulate for this area (Santa Cruz office) before it was allowed back into UK.

Edited: 11 January 2011, 19:40
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

Hi, and the child would be entitled to dual nationality. Could be an advantage in the future.

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

would it be entitled to the 'canarian citizen/resident' discounts as that would def be worth having LOL!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: If I go into labour while on hol in Tenerife....?

If in the south, no pain relief unless Mon to Fri between 9 and 5. Then the only form offered is an epidural.

It is quite the norm for births over here to be pain relief free!!!

Also all the above information is good advice