We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

Bournemouth UK
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

I am getting a travel insurance quotation and am I right in thinking that Tenerife is not part of the EU?

Thanks!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

Tenerife is definately part of the EU ,it is classed as a province of Spain who is also a member state .Euros are its Currency .Some travel insurance companies do though differentiate between Spain and Tenerife ,some may even charge more for a holiday in Tenerife than main land Spain ,i think this has a lot to do with higher health care costs in Tenerife .I hope this helps

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

Yes definitely part of the EU.

I have just got the renewal for my yearly travel insurance and the price has more than doubled since last year!

Needless to say I spent all morning on the 'net seeking out a cheaper company to do business with!!!!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

I know what you mean .I have to take out Medical insurance along with travel insurance .In September had i been going to mainland spain for two weeks it was £265 for Tenerife £489 ............;

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

Hi, my understanding is that although Tenerife is 'part of' Spain, and therefore part of Europe, it is outside the EU. Hence why Customs Allowances are set, as if outside the EU. However I would expect that most travel companies including Insurance Companies would class it as Europe.

Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

Tenerife and the Canary Islands are part of the EU, except for certain tax exemptions, such as VAT.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
493 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

hi onelegnofeet,am i hearing you right,you were quoted 265 and 489 respectively for holiday insurance,seems a bit steep to say the least. garry

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

If you read my post that was for Medical and travel insurance .I think 2 weeks travel insurance was about £37 the rest was the medical insurance .I hope this clarifys ,yes too much for ordinary travel insurance ,it made the flights and hotel seem very cheap ........

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
493 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

yes i understand that it was for both medical and travel cover,i find the prices are totally over the top. garry

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

They are based on the individual and depends on what illness's you need to get covered .other companies quotes wentr up as far as £850 so as per norm you search for the best deals .All i can say to anyone is keep well and look after yourselves .

Sheffield, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Tenerife not in EU? (for travel insurance purposes)

Hi onelegnofeet,

I know where you are coming from on the old travel insurance malarky; I've had open heart surgery &, in last 5 years alone I have had quotes ranging from £200-£1,500.00.

I have just bought 2 weeks insurance to get me to Zante in Sept & its cost me £210.00, the main reason I want to know if Tenerife comes under EU is my cardiologist won't let me travel outside the EU when going on foreign holiday.

We want to go to Tenerife in January next year

bypassblade