We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, over whelmed with info!

Guernsey
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help, over whelmed with info!

Hi

I would like to visit the Canary Islands in April withy my partner. Not sure which Island yet as don't really know what to expect. I would like an Island that has a nice place to stay with a few bars and restaurants and some bars and a nearby beach. What is the nicest Island to visit which would be good for a couple in the early 30's.

Thanks in advance.

Katy

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, over whelmed with info!

Hi Katy

I think you will find that if you asked this question on each of the Canary islands you would have people saying that this or that island is the best one and give hotels, bars ect that are their favorite. As you have posted this on the Tenerife one I would believe that overall the replies on here will be either Los Christinos,Playa de las Americas or Puerto de la Cruz {for the "more traditional" choice.

I would say that if it is the beach,bars and restaurants along with good nightlife I would suggest lookiing at Los Christinos/Playa, it is only a short distance from the south airport and has a good range of the things you seem to be asking for. As to what type of hotels I will leave that to others as it is not an area I can advise on. If you wanted a quieter area than what the south has to offer then Purto de la Cruz would be my choice, it is about one hour or more from the airport on the north west coast and unlike the southern resorts has black volcanic sand {that I do know puts some people off}. Thake a look at webstites ect {and on here} to see what each area has to offer then {if you choose Tenerife} come back with any further questions as I am sure people on here will be able to help

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Barton-upon-Humber...
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, over whelmed with info!

Hello

I am in my early 30s and i have been to gran canara and tenerife. My preference is tenerife. I went to playa de la ingles in gran canara and it was ok but all the night life was in big commercial centres which was good as all night life in on place but you didnt walk down the street and find nice bars and resturants like you do in playa de las amercias in tenerife. I to like walking around and finding nice bars and resturants which there are plenty of, we usually stay near the safari centre in playa and there are plenty of nice places near by and its only a short walk into los cristinas which is smaller then playa de las amercias but again has some great bars and restuarants and if you did fancy more of a nightlife you have the 'patch'area and starco area with the likes of linkers bars etc.

Newcastle England
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, over whelmed with info!

Ive been to all The Canary Islands, visited the rest once and never returned, on my 12 or 13th visit to Tenerife, it's the largest of them, has the most to do and see, and overall its great value for money, its 3 resorts in 1 so you have everybodys tastes covered, I loved it as a child, loved it even more as a young reveler but love it most of all as a family, what type of accomodation were you thinking of?

Guernsey
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, over whelmed with info!

Thanks All!

Tenerife seems to be the favourite at the mo just on the basis it is the one we know most about. Your suggestions have been good, but still unsure about where, so perhaps if i give a little more information it may help. Basically we are a couple who like a bottle of wine or 2 and a bit of night life but don't really want to spend nights 18-30's type nights out, also day times on beaches and by the pool with loads of younger people getting drunk. i have been told that Playa Das Americas can be a little like that and caters for more of a party atmosphere. Please correct me if i am wrong it is just what i have been told. Basically we would like a reasonable hotel, nice beach, moderate nightlife (enough to offer a bit of variety for a weeks stay) more of a family couple's resort. We also like exploring and night life so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

katy

Ayr
Level Contributor
584 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, over whelmed with info!

Hi Katy,

As with others who posted here, I too have been to all the islands and we always return to Tenerife.

Yes there are rowdy bits full of teenagers, however theses are easily avoided.

I would recommend the Fanabe area for you. We are both 50 now so we don't like the noisy places either, but prefer a nice meal and a bottle of wine at night along with some entertainment some evenings.

Playa Del Duque beach is in this area and it is a lovely beach and one of the best in Tenerife. It is also surrounded by beautiful hotels and restaurants. Tenerife also has Siam Park which is the best water park I have ever been to, it is a fabulous day out.

If you want any futher info on hotels and restaurants, please reply.

6. Re: Help, over whelmed with info!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 02:18