We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thomson flights

Birmingham
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
thomson flights

Hi All,

Does anybody know why Thomsons have changed there BHX to TFS winter flight to a Thursday, seems like a right weird thing to do. We always fly with them around the friday week before Christmas and return on the Tues after new years eve, do you think they are slowly releasing flights due to lack of bookings. Also they appear to have changed there payment to full payment on booking as we have always payed a deposit then payment 8 or so weeks before departure Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thomson flights

Hi

I think you may be right in your thinking. I did a quick check and found that you can fly friday to the tuesday if {at this time} you travel out on the 23rd Dec and return on the 3rd Jan but going a week earlier and returning on the Tuesday there is only the Thursday flight out. Reading the T&C for flight only it states that not all flights are ATOL protected so it could be that they would use other carriers for those flights and as they would be liabel for the booking that is why the full charge would be taken at the booking stage, if you look at the T&C for the "package holidays" they have the deposit then pay balance 8 weeks prior to departure

Hope this helps

Sparhawk1

Edited: 13 April 2011, 17:42
england
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thomson flights

\hi

Are you just doing flight only? We went to tenerife in March and had our flight changed because they hadn't got enough people to fill the flight, but we weren't informed of that at the time. About payment if you have booked through the travel agents I should ask them why, as surely this is not correct and also I should take this up with ABTA as this does not seem right.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thomson flights

Well i have also heard that there flights are not ABTA bonded can that be right, i do not understand how this can be, are they just acting as booking agents now. It is all so confusing, maybe it is time to jump ship and have a look at another airline.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thomson flights

When booking flights only we've always paid the whole amount in full at the time of booking. Package holidays are different insomuch that you pay a deposit and the balance normally around 10 weeks before you go.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thomson flights

Yes Daisy i know some airlines do require full payment at time of booking but this is a first for Thomson it just worries me a little as you always had the security of being on a package flight and now it does seem like they have changed there ways, which is fine and dandy as long as people are aware of this at the time of booking. This information has not been widely advertised so i wonder how many people are aware.....

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thomson flights

I'm a bit confused with your post. As I said we've flown with Thomson many times over the past few years and have always paid in full at the time of booking the flight. We book our own flight online not through a travel agent. Nothing has changed in this respect.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thomson flights

I have always booked through holiday shop and have never had to pay full balance always just deposit, I use First Choice Holiday Hypermarket every year as they always matched Thomson web price for us. However this year it is full balance at time of booking and this is where i was informed that these flights are not ABTA bonded anymore.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thomson flights

I booked 2 x return flights to Tenerife from Belfast for Christmas/New Year and had to pay over £1,000, the full amount upfront (Thomas Cook). :(

Incase any of you think I've made a mistake, yes two flights only!!!!

Edited: 14 April 2011, 10:50
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,666 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thomson flights

Ok, I understand now. The reason for this I would guess is so the travel agent can benefit their bank account from receiving the full amount. I doubt they would have to pay the whole lot to Thomsons at the time of booking. It's just a sign of the times and once one company does it others will follow. However if they price match the internet even paying up front is a good deal and avoids the annoying debit card charges simply for booking it. A credit card maybe, but a flipping debit card.........

lancs
Level Contributor
986 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: thomson flights

We have always paid in full for flight only with Thomson.All Thomson flights are abta bonded,my son works for Thomson as cabin crew(formerly First Choice).

Marie..

Get answers to your questions about Tenerife