We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

San Francisco, CA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

Goldcar comes off as being ridiculously cheap compared to other rental car companies as TFN, but there's reasons why:

1. You must find the spot to meet up with a Goldcar representative and it is not marked anywhere in the airport, or even at the destination. Btw, its is on floor -2 of the customer parking lot at the "meetup" area. We found other lost-looking travelers and found that we were all looking for the same thing. Luckily one had a cell phone and called them for a pick up.

2. They charge you 70 euros for fuel upfront without a refund for unused fuel

3. They give you a ridiculously fuel-efficient car which will not use up the entire tank, even if you drive up and down Mount Teide 10 times. We had the car for 3 days and drove to Buenaviste Del Norte, Los Cristanos and back and barely used 1/4 of a tank of fuel. I'm in favor of fuel efficiency, but not at my wallet's expense.

In the end, I would have preferred renting from another rental company that is more transparent and easier find after a long flight. I probably didn't save any money with using Goldcar instead of Avis or something else, due to the fuel charge, so in the end, it wasn't worth the "savings"

165 replies to this topic
Aldershot, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
61. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

We have just returned from tfs after renting with gold star. On pickup we found damage all over vehicle and apart from dents and scratches, a missing boot badge and damaged though working driver lock. We went back to the office to complain and told don't worry all damage covered, no joint inspection and basically take it or leave it. As we had paid in uk we took it. 2 days after return 500euros debited to card. Talked to cc company, and they say try to sort direct, but sounds like that will be brick wall. If no joy they will dispute on our behalf.

Any advice you can offer greatly appreciated.

Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

and the petrol issue seen as you seem to be so good at defending this company?

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
63. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

Have to say that Budget also have the same con, €70 non refundable Fuel charge, which on a VW UP! is a right rip-off, as the car has a fuel tank of ~35 litres and petrol in Tenerife seemed to hover around €1.10 per litre last week, not that we had to stop to refuel or anything as the car just sips petrol.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,047 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

budget terms and conditions, teneriffe....."car will be supplied with a full tank and must be returned with a full tank" you had a option to buy the petrol from them if you wished, but had you returned with a full tank, you would have had no charge!

Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

Take no notice of Nagakoli - whether he gets a kick out of winding people up or he represents the company I don't know - he is the only one defending against dozens of the dissatisfied customers. It's a pity 'Rip-Off Britain' doesn't extend to hiring card from the UK - I might check

Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

I've also just emailed 'Rip Off Britain' to see if they would be interested in this company .....

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,047 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

jackie. i have every right in the world to respond! i have nothing to do with any rental company, but do have knowledge of contract law. if a person makes a certain claim about a company, that is actually incorrect, then i will of course, provide accurate info. a renter signs a form accepting the terms and conditions, and if these t and c state that you should return the car full, then that is what should be done. if a offer was made to them to pay a set amount and return the car empty, then it is up to the renter to decide which they want to do! complaining because they realise that they chose to accept a more expensive option, is NO reflection on a hire company.

as for sending a letter to "rip of britain"??? why?? tenerife is not in britain.

please do not attack others that you disagree with.

Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

Yes but Rip off Britain do cover holidays abroad so why not this? I'm sorry but you are not looking at the full picture. Just because they are within the law doesn't make it morally right to rip people off. What about the queues, the rudeness of staff, damaged and illegal cars (worn tyres) etc. Have you actually used this company?

Chorley, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

Goldcar is BY FAR THE WORST BUSINESS of any trade I have ever encountered in my 60 years on this planet.

I echo all the complaints detailed above in that we had the same difficulties.

As of now ( November 2014 )

You will still have to queue for over an hour even if you have pre booked and already paid for hire

They vastly overcharge for full tank - still no refund

They do not issue agreed assessment of car's condition as stated in the online booking form so they could claim you were the cause of damage that already existed

In general they are extremely unprofessional

I will be contacting numerous consumer protection organisations to alert them to this 'company'

DO NOT USE.GOLDCAR

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport

We recently used Autoreisen. No extras charged at all, fast service (less than ten minutes for pick-up) newish car to our specification. Tank half full, return the same. Price quoted was what we paid. Return, parked car went to kiosk, gave back keys told them what bay it was in, that was it , under two minutes. Put Goldcar, Avis etc. in the shade.

Edited: 22 November 2014, 20:11
Reply to: Beware of renting from Goldcar at the TFN airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted