We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa rental caution

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Villa rental caution

Hello all,

I will be posting my review soon enough about the villa rental in Adeje owned by Paul Curtis, but I just wanted to put a caution out there for all those wanting to rent a villa in the Tenerife (specifically Adeje) area. I am sure there are a lot of great villas with professional owners out there, but we were not lucky enough to experience one on our vacation.

Briefly, we experienced water drainage issues (showers, sinks, etc.), sewage smell, no hot water, questionable housing complex (criminal activity warnings from owner, next to open field with garbage/junk, etc.), broken electronics (nice to have w/kids at night occasionally), no air conditioning (with poor ventilation and criminal warnings about keeping doors/shutters locked, this is definitely needed with the very humid and hot weather here!), and above all, an owner who was unprofessional and oblivious to his responsibilities as an owner especially in being unyielding in compromising our request to leave and recover at least a portion of what we paid since our holiday was being bombarded with numerous issues and calls to him for repairs/fixes, etc.

In this situation, if you want a nice holiday, just pay the additional money it costs to rent a hotel/resort and don't bother with the hassle of owners like this or at least set something up ahead of time in the contract to cover things like this (i.e. if repairs/fixes/issues go over 25% of time there, x amount is returned to tenant, etc.).

We were shocked by the unprofessionalism of the owner and his unwillingness to work with us in just letting us leave and returning some of our funds as a compromise. It was almost like a Jerry Springer moment where he was screaming at us over the phone and threatening to call the police if we violated his house even though we never threatened anything and actually left the house cleaner than we found it. I guess this is the response you get when you have owners who are hurting for money and desperately trying to sell their vacation rentals (sign on the front of the house).

Just a word of warning. We know we wished we had one before booking this villa. I will add that he conveniently deleted his housing ad (which had reviews) and recreated it and will probably do the same thing after I post mine.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa rental caution

I'm currently looking for a villa holiday next year so thanks for the word of warning.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa rental caution

No problem. Just don't want anyone else to go through what we did. Tenerife is a beautiful area and we really enjoyed it. Just wish we didn't go through our issues with the owner and this villa.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa rental caution

bump

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
912 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa rental caution

You mention a big problem that owners can easily delete their listing and make a new one without any bad reviews on.

Perhaps you could also post your review on this forum so that it can be found if search is used.

We have booked a property for 2012 and I will certainly be posting a review on the listing and in this forum. Hopefully it will be a very positive and happy review.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
65 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa rental caution

I actually did post my review, but on the Costa Adeje forum since it was more specific to the location of the house.

However, here is the link to my review in case anyone is interested in Paul Curtis' villa. tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g662606…

He also has other rental properties and they have or had questionable reviews as well. He does however make it convenient to cut and paste his guestbook reviews that are all positive and could or could not be true on his properties.

I hope you have a great time in 2012. The island is beautiful and lots to do... or not do (relax and beach it).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa rental caution

Perhaps I have made a mistake, but I was under the impression that it was illegal for owners to rent out private villas for profit in Tenerife and all other Canary islands, if I am mistaken then I apologise

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
912 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa rental caution

Montgod,

thanks for the link and the good wishes.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa rental caution

ojosazules .....

There are rules for letting out properties in Tenerife/Canary Isles.....and they must have the necessary permission and there has been a lot in the local news papers just recently that the authorities are cracking down on illegal letting .....here is a link about it ...

propertyforsaleintenerife.com/article.asp…

Sylla

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa rental caution

I understand the law pertaining to apartments in touristic and residencial complexes, but how can villas be classified as touristic?

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa rental caution

Can't answer that one ! but some villas are set in a complex with a few shared amenities like pool and gardens .....

Sylla