We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Belper, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Hi All,

I need some help! My family and I went to Gran canaria, puerto rico last year and had a fantastic time.

We're looking at going to the Canary Islands again next but can't decide between Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

I'm looking for a family resort which shops, restaurants and nice beaches, but we don't want to be overwhelmed.

We've got to children aged 7 and 4 so we need to be able to keep them happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Emma

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,324 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

I'd avoid Fuerteventura as it's a windy island and am sure most of the activity is dedicated to one area.

Lanzarote and Tenerife are equal to me in terms of appeal. Have visited both. Lanzarote has loads of shops and restaurants in Puerta del Carmen with a long seafront that you can wander along at your leisure. For me I would aim to stay close to this area and avoid Playa Blanca and Teguise as they are both a distance away from the centre if you want things to do without having to reply on transport. The beaches are good.

Tenerife is split into the north and south. My preference is for the south of the island. Los Cristianos adjoins Playa de las Americas which then joins onto the Adeje area. Again all of these places have shops, restaurants and good beaches.

It's really a matter of what you want to do when you get there.

It may simply be a case of what accommodation offers the best deal and also what time the flights are especially with young children. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Edited: 15 November 2011, 18:35
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Hi

Here are some of the places we have reviewed to give you an idea, we try to give an honest review of the places to help others, you can compare you views with mine and Hayzers on Gran Canaria as you have been. I hope they help

Fuerteventura

…forumsmotion.com/t1645-canary-islands-fuert…

…forumsmotion.com/t1644-canary-islands-fuert…

Gran Canaria

…forumsmotion.com/t561-canary-islands-gran-c…

Lanzarote

…forumsmotion.com/t625-canary-islands-lanzar…

Tenerife

…forumsmotion.com/t3697-canary-islandsteneri…

…forumsmotion.com/t870-canary-islands-teneri…

My choice would be Playa Blanca but we are all different and it depends on what you want from a holiday

up north
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

fuerteventura has some very long beaches that go for miles and is ideal for a quiet relaxing holiday.

tenerife and lanzarote are more built up and more for the mass tourist market.

if you liked puerto rico you will like tenerfie or lanzarote .

suffolk
Level Contributor
789 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Playa Blanca for me also, although Costa Adeje was nice but expensive.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Hi Emma and Ste, I think when your children are that age the beach and the pool are the most important thing ,so I think you should do more research into accommadation ,flight times transport from airport times etc; as to be honest I think it's very hard for anyone to advise you on which island. Even reading peoples comments here shows how people differ. I like them all in different ways, and when we holidayed with our children (years ago now!) we chose the hotels or apartments to suit. I think they're all suitable for families and yes Fuerteventura is windy but then that might be cooler if you're going mid summer.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Hi Emma and Ste,having spent many happy holidays in PR i now find the hills there far too much .Based on what PR has to offer (apart from hills!!),i would suggest Tenerife .If you look at this map link square D8 ,and the hotels which also sit on its borders may suit your needs .Bonus's of staying in that area you have a fantastic beach at most 10/15 mins away Playa Las Vistas which is the very best beach imo in the southern resorts .You have the fantastic shopping centre now larger than the map shows the Safari Centre on your doorstep .Great bars and restaurants in the area ,atop of the Safari Centre too.With the Paz Strip sited between the safari Centre and Parque la Paz hotel which has some great venues .All these are for families rather than the entertainment areas of Veronicas and Starcos more akin to 18/30s.

If you want self catering apartments look at Parque Santiago 3,4 or 5 ,i think Parque Santiago 3 would be the best for you .the pool area is really really nice ,with a seperate section for the children with inflatables so check out the reviews here on TA and prices to see if it suits your criteria .

Hotels like La Siesta ,Bitacora ,Parque la Paz (formerly Parque DE la Paz in case you are looking at reviews of months back ) if its hotel accomodation you would prefer come recommended by many on here .

Heres a link to Parque la Paz to view and see if its up your street

http://www.parquelapaz.com

Added bonus at Parque santiago 3 there are some really nice shops built under reception area so you can browse if you want a quick break from the pool and sun .

If you look at the map marked in black and white along the coast that is the sea front walkway where you can access easily the other resorts .Heading to Los Cristianos is totally flat ,going to just before Puerto Colon is where you will find a few hills going to the resorts from there ,though nothing like going from the Commercial Centre to the Europa Centre in Puerto Rico .More like slopes in that comparison imo .Each beach along the way varies from sand to rocks ,from a surfers beach to little coves ,which may appeal to you more than my favourite Playa Las Vistas.I normally say allow 10 mins to cross each square in the map ,longer for those with walking disabilities and of course those with children with little legs !

Food drink and even supermarket shopping (if you use Mercadonnas ) is cheaper than Puerto Rico i have found (my favourite in PR was San Miguels) .Hiperdinos supermarkets seem to be cheaper in Tenerife too .

Hope this helps ,least ways you now have a map to help if you are trying to choose a hotel you will have an idea how far from the beach etc .Some hotels have been built and name changes occurred since its publication but i am sure if you ask other members will know which hotels are in their location .

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Yes more to do in Tenerife and Lanzarote as said before it depends what sort of holiday you would like

As onelegnofeet says there are safari Parks in Tenerife here's one Daryn went to

…forumsmotion.com/t3734-canary-islands-tener…

Or

There's the volcanos to see in Lanzarote with camel rides and you can even get a ferry to Furteventura for the day to see if you like it. I personally found it windy in Fuerteventura when I went for the day but that was pot luck and that beach is there for a reason it blows from Africa but i am sure they get better weather days

Burstwick, Hull
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Puerta del carmen in Lanzarote should give you everything you are looking for in a family holiday .Shops, restaurants and beaches galore! The people are welcoming and there are numerous trips you can take or hire a car and explore yourselves.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

For the age of your children, Caleta de Fuste (sp) in Fuerteventura would be perfect for them at that age. Nice beach, not too far from the airport, compact, but still with enough restaurants to stop you getting bored.

C

x

Belper, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tenerife, Lanzorote or Fueteventura??

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments. We've booked a holiday to tenerife!

Emma